Defender Dan Canter scored on a penalty kick with 2:34 left in the second overtime to give Team America a 1-0 North American Soccer League victory over the Tulsa Roughnecks tonight.

Canter's shot came after Roughneck defender Adam Krupa was called for a handball violation in the penalty box. Krupa was trying to save Jeff Durgan's header from point-blank range.

The play had started on a corner kick by Boris Bandov, who found Durgan open in front of the Tulsa net.

Only seven shots were taken in the first half, four by Team America and three by the Roughnecks.

The only scoring opportunity came with 5:30 remaining in the first half on a 20-yard shot by Tulsa's Zequinha from right wing. Goalie Arnie Mausser had little trouble making the save.

Neither team has shown much offense in the first half this season. Team America has scored only one first-half goal this season and the Roughnecks two--both on the road.

Seventeen fouls were called on each team in the first half.

Team America Coach Alkis Panagoulias made one change in his starting lineup in an effort to break a two-game losing streak. He inserted Mausser in goal, replacing Paul Hammond. It was Mausser's second NASL start of the year.

The Roughnecks, who have been slowed by injuries, were without three starters--striker Laurie Abrahams (thigh), sweeper Barry Wallace (groin) and defender Victor Moreland (sprained foot).

The injuries left Roughneck Coach Terry Hennessey with two healthy defenders, forcing him to start midfielders Krupa and Billy Caskey on the back line.

The Roughnecks had several chances to win the game in regulation, but didn't do so because of poor finishing.

The best chance came in the 59th minute, when forward Njego Pesa was wide-open from point-blank range. But he hit a weak dribbler that missed badly.

Pesa and midfielder Gerry Reardon had been inserted into Tulsa's lineup by Coach Terry Hennessey only three minutes earlier. The Roughnecks' offense revived after those substitutions, and Tulsa put immediate pressure on Mausser.

The Roughnecks thought they had broken a scoreless tie when striker Ron Futcher scored in the 61st minute, but he was called offsides before the goal.

The play started with a free kick by Roughneck midfielder Pasquale Fuccillo outside the penalty box. Fuccillo's shot deflected off Mausser to Reardon, who was at the left post. He dribbled one-on-one against Mausser and then centered to Futcher, who was alone in front of the net.