Nick Lowery kicked three fourth-quarter field goals, including a 42-yarder with 1:56 to go, to give Kansas City a 16-13 victory over Denver today as Broncos kicker Rich Karlis experienced a replay of his last-second failure of last week.

The Broncos quickly moved to the Chiefs' 25 and called on Karlis to kick the tying field goal with 10 seconds left. But, just as the week before in a 27-24 loss to Seattle, his kick in the final seconds hit an upright and bounced away.

Lowery's 46-yard kick with 11:41 to play cut Kansas City's deficit to 13-10. The Chiefs, led by Bill Kenney's passing, set up Lowery for a 28-yarder that tied the score at 13 at 7:01.

The loss dropped Denver, whose 10-game winning streak was ended by Seattle the week before, to 11-3. The Chiefs broke a four-game losing streak in improving to 6-8.

"It was a tricky wind," said Karlis, who kicked field goals of 22 and 37 yards with the wind earlier. "It was blowing right . . . then it was blowing left. But I'm supposed to make those.

"I knew I didn't hit it solid, but I thought I hit it well enough to go through. It just kept fading on me. It was a good snap and a good hold. It just missed. Obviously, this is not something I want to become famous for."

Kenney completed passes of 46 and 29 yards on consecutive plays to set up Lowery's first field goal in the fourth quarter.

The Broncos took a 7-0 lead in the first quarter on a 48-yard pass from John Elway to Steve Watson.

Karlis' 22-yard field goal in the second quarter gave the Broncos a 10-0 lead, but Kenney led an 86-yard drive in nine plays, keyed by a 41-yard pass to Stephone Paige and finished off by a 24-yard touchdown pass to Carlos Carson as time ran out.

Karlis put the Broncos on top, 13-7, with his 37-yard field goal in the third period.

Kansas City mistakes in the first half allowed the Broncos to escape the consequences of poor punting by Chris Norman, who shanked kicks of 18 and 15 yards. The Chiefs failed to move and missed a 55-yard field goal attempt after Norman's first bad punt. They fumbled the ball away after his second.

The Chiefs moved to the Denver 20 early in the second period, but Mike Harden intercepted Kenney's underthrown pass in the end zone.

Elway's 16-yard pass to Watson and Winder's running brought the Broncos to the Kansas City four moments later to set up Karlis' 22-yard field goal. That gave the Broncos a 10-0 lead with five minutes remaining in the half.

In the third quarter, after a 46-yard pass-interference penalty on safety Lloyd Burruss, the Broncos found themselves with second and goal from the one. But Elway threw an incompletion and the Chiefs held Winder to no gain on two dives into the line, holding Denver's lead to 13-7.