Jeff Adkins made a fallaway 10-foot jump shot with one second left in overtime tonight, giving Maryland a 70-68 victory over Iowa in the Rainbow Classic.

His shot came after Len Bias, Maryland's high-point man with 24, had missed a 15-footer. Bias' shot hit off the front rim, Adkins got the rebound and made the Terrapins winners.

"I was surprised when we didn't call time out because we usually do in that situation," said Adkins, who came in when Speedy Jones fouled out in overtime.

"I didn't want to shoot it, so I gave it to Lenny. I could see his shot was going to be way short, so I went to the foul line. The ball hit the Iowa player's hand (Todd Berkenpas) so hard that he couldn't hold it. I grabbed it and shot. I didn't know if it counted or not until everyone started tackling me.

"I missed the last shot (from 30 feet) against Kansas. I've thought about that about a million times, so it felt great to get this one, especially after not playing the last few games."

Adkins, a three-year starter, had been demoted to fourth guard in recent weeks and in fact only played nine minutes tonight. He finished with four points.

Maryland (9-1) will play the Cornell-Hawaii winner Thursday night in the semifinals. Iowa (9-2) will play the loser. The Terrapins, who played most of the second half without point guard Keith Gatlin (bad foot), tied the game with four seconds left on a jump shot by Adrian Branch (21 points) after Greg Stokes (29 points) had put Iowa ahead a minute earlier.

In the early going, Branch, Bias and Gatlin controlled play, consistently getting the ball inside, blocking shots -- Branch even blocked one -- and picking up loose balls.

Branch started a 17-6 run, getting a rebound, dribbling the length of the court and laying in the ball as he was fouled. The lead reached 25-14 when Jones made two foul shots.

But after Branch made two foul shots for a 35-21 lead with 4:57 left in the half, the Terrapins, on the verge of a blowout, did what they seem to do every game: let a fading team climb back into the game.

They missed eight straight shots from the field during the last five minutes, often because they were so eager to push the ball upcourt that they took rushed, poorly conceived shots.

Iowa, which had been unable to score from outside, finally got the ball inside, most notably to Southern California transfer Gerry Wright. He kept the Hawkeyes close most of the half with 15 points. Then, when Stokes warmed up, the two of them combined for most of a 12-0 run that got Iowa back into the game.

Wright's four straight points cut the margin to 35-31, then, after Maryland missed four shots, Berkenpas made two foul shots that made it 35-33.

Only Bias' foul shot with one second left -- on a call that sent Iowa Coach George Raveling screaming a la his mentor, Maryland Coach Lefty Driesell -- kept the Terrapins from being shut out during the Iowa run. The Terrapins led only 36-33 at halftime and their discomfort became even more pronounced when 6-11 Michael Payne finally shot his team into the lead in the early minutes of the second half. His 18-foot jumper with 14:45 left gave the Hawkeyes their first lead of the night at 46-44. After Gatlin tied it, Payne made another long shot. When Stokes matched that a moment later, Iowa led by 50-46.

The four-point lead held for the next few minutes until Bias posted on the left side twice in a row. Once, he appeared to travel but got a three-point play. Then, after Jones' steal, Bias scored over three men and the Terrapins led, 57-56.

Stokes answered with a short base line pop that made it 58-57. It stayed that way for two minutes until Bias, again getting the ball inside, made a short jumper with 6:10 left.

When Stokes missed a short hook, Maryland got the ball with a 59-58 lead and five minutes to play, hoping to hold on despite having Branch, Derrick Lewis and Jones playing with four fouls.