Joe Wassel scored 23 points and Mike Brown had 14 points and 15 rebounds to help George Washington to a 99-60 Atlantic 10 victory over Duquesne tonight.

The victory clinched a first-round bye for the Colonials (14-12, 9-8) in next week's Atlantic 10 conference tournament at Rutgers.

The Colonials shot 52 percent from the field and 100 percent from the foul line in the first half. Wassel had 11 points and Brown 10 points and nine rebounds. The Dukes (10-16, 6-11) made only 36 percent of their field goals in the half.

George Washington jumped to a 10-0 lead, beating Duquesne's 2-3 zone defense with two three-point shots.

Duquesne narrowed the lead to 14-8, but Mike O'Reilly's three-point shot with 13:16 left in the half put GW up, 17-8. The Colonials got their biggest lead of the half, 25-11, when Brown scored on a slam dunk five minutes later.

The Dukes pulled to 29-24 -- the closest they would get -- with 1:37 remaining in the half. But Brown and Chester Wood scored and Wassel's three-point play gave the Colonials a 36-27 halftime lead.

The Colonials outscored the Dukes, 17-6, in the first five minutes of the second half to gain a 53-33 lead.

The Colonials outshot Duquesne, 61 to 37 percent and held a 43-26 rebounding advantage. Duquesne, without a player taller than 6-foot-7, got 14 points apiece from Rick Suder and Dwayne Rawls.

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference: In East Rutherford, N.J., Randy Cozzens sank seven of eight free throws in overtime and Kevin Houston made four of five to lift Army to a 76-64 victory over La Salle in the opening round of the MAAC tournament.

In one semifinal, Army will meet top-seeded Iona, which routed Fairfield, 95-61, behind Rory Grimes' 18 points. Iona outrebounded Fairfield, 62-25.

Shelton Gibbs' three-point play and two free throws each by Larry Clark and Leonard Hayes enabled St. Peter's to beat Holy Cross, 70-66. St. Peter's will play Fordham, a 44-42 winner over Manhattan on Tony McIntosh's jumper with four seconds left.