Wayne Webb earned his 16th Professional Bowling Association title and the $20,000 first-place prize today, winning the $130,000 Fair Lanes Open at Fair Lanes Woodlawn.

With the victory, he became the 1985 PBA money leader at $95,480. Mike Aulby of Indianapolis, who entered the tournament but didn't win any prize money, is second at $87,170. Webb, also of Indianapolis, was seeded first among the five bowlers in today's final match play. He beat Mark Williams of Beaumont, Tex., 196-150, in the final game to win the title.

"The last time I was in a tournament lead, I lost," said Webb. "I guess it played a little in the back of my mind. But I was confident (in warmups) and I felt I had the best shot."

Williams, 27, won his first title last summer in the Waukegan Open. He was seeded third and had to win two games to qualify for the final match. Williams defeated Bob Handley, a three-time titlist from Pompano Beach, Fla., 196-183, and second-seeded Henry Gonzalez of Colorado Springs, 194-180.

Against Webb, Williams split in three different frames and missed a single pin standing in the eighth frame to ruin his chance. Webb clinched victory when he bowled a strike on his first attempt in the 10th frame.

"I didn't feel like I bowled well today," said Williams. "The lanes were carrying (because of the heat from the television lights) but it wasn't that much a difference. I just couldn't adjust. It was to the point that my ball wasn't breaking and I couldn't do anything to control it."

Webb also felt the television lighting had an effect on the scores. Handley was the only one to bowl a game over 200. "The TV lights carry down the oil," said Webb. "The heat plays a large factor."

In the opening game, Handley bowled 215 to defeat Charlie Tapp of St. Paul, Minn.

A split in the ninth frame against Williams in the next round left him behind by 13 pins going into the last frame. Williams kept the crowd nervous in the 10th, however, by leaving a 3-1 split on his first roll. But he picked up the spare to clinch the game.

In his semifinal match with Williams, Gonzalez struggled in the early going but finished with four strikes out of his last six shots to narrow the margin.