Craig Bubier converted a pass from Brian Wood 3:47 into sudden death overtime to lead top-ranked Johns Hopkins over Maryland, 8-7, in a lacrosse game before 13,775 yesterday at Byrd Stadium.

Maryland's Kirk Thurston tied the score with 55 seconds left and the Terrapins withstood a man-down situation for the final 46 seconds of regulation to force overtime.

"We didn't have any play on," said Bubier, who finished with three goals. "Brian (Wood) had the ball. I slid into an open area and our eyes met." Bubier beat Terrapin goalie Jim Beardmore with a line drive shot from about 20 feet.

The Blue Jays are 7-1. Maryland is 5-3.

Although the Terrapins have lost their last three games, the overtime defeat was among their best efforts this season.

"This is the only level of play we expect," said Maryland Coach Dick Edell. "I think a 9-3 record, with the victory over Carolina -- and this -- will get us where we want to be," he said in reference to the Terrapins' postseason hopes.

John Krumenacker had three goals and Wood had a goal and two assists for Hopkins, most of whose players could not recall when they had last played overtime.

Brian Willard had three goals and Eric Korvin, Matt McGeady, Thurston and Steve Beardmore each had one.

"I think we played pretty much to our potential," said Maryland's Brian Willard, whose goal tied the score at 6 with 4:19 remaining.

Maryland outperformed Hopkins on ground balls, 35-32, and on faceoffs, 10-7. Jim Beardmore had 15 saves; Larry Quinn had 12 for the Blue Jays. Hopkins outshot the hosts, 50-33.

Maryland scored on the first possession of the game when Todd Ensor controlled the faceoff. Korvin circled right and passed over the top of the defense to Willard, who beat Quinn from just in front of the crease 41 seconds into the game.

Wood got an unassisted goal with 3:28 remaining and Bubier scored his first 2:20 later, but Maryland continued to pepper Quinn throughout the quarter.

When Guy Riccardi threaded a pass to Korvin, Maryland tied the score. Krumenacker's unassisted goal with 9:39 remaining put Johns Hopkins on top, 3-2, at the half.

After Steve Beardmore's goal on a pass from Brendon Hanley, Willard put the Terps up, 4-3, when he scored a man-up goal from 25 feet out.

Johns Hopkins got a fast break goal when Quinn cleared the ball up the left sideline to Geoff Nordberg. Nordberg centered a pass to Bubier, who shot the ball left-handed past Jim Beardmore.

"I came across the center of the field," Bubier said. "I got checked a couple of times but I still had the ball and I shot."

The visitors went up by 6-4 when Del Dressel took an unguarded shot on Beardmore from 10 feet.

McGeady brought the Terrapins within one when he scored on a pass from Thurston with 5:23 remaining. Willard's third goal of the day, on a pass from Chris Lamon, tied the score 1:04 later. Krumenacker got his third goal when he slipped around a defender and shot from 10 feet.

Thurston's unassisted goal with 55 seconds remaining sent the game into overtime. "I was out top and they told me to take (Guy) Matricciani," said Thurston. "I faked left and drove right and shot it by him in the upper corner."