Five Washington boxers won last night to give their team the inaugural D.C. Mayor's Cup at Howard University's Burr Gymnasium.

Philadelphia was second going into the finals but Washington won two head-to-head fights, dropping Philadelphia to third place behind New York City. Washington scored 30 points, New York City 22 and Philadelphia 20. All bouts were scheduled for three rounds.

In the most exciting fight, Washington's nationally ranked Lyndon Walker (125 pounds), who defeated his semifinal opponent in the first 10 seconds Friday, won a close split decision against Angel Gomez of Philadelphia.

Gomez consistently landed left hooks in the first round, as Walker remained cautious. In the second, when some in the partisan crowd began to cheer Gomez, Walker became more aggressive and landed several right crosses to Gomez's face.

But Gomez continued to slip in hard left hooks, combined with right overhands. After a right cross stunned Walker near the end of the third round, Gomez was penalized twice for head-butting, which took away points.

"I wasn't head-butting," said Gomez, who lost for the first time in 18 bouts.

Washington's James Harris (106), who also is nationally ranked, started slowly but won a unanimous decision over Danny Davis of Philadelphia.

"Starting off, I didn't feel like I was in control, but I usually start slowly," said Harris.

Washington's Darryl Lattimore (147), also ranked nationally, won a unanimous decision over Michael Hooper of Plainfield, N.J. Anthony Ross of Washington (139) scored a unanimous decision in his fight with New York City's Glenn Irizarry.

In the 119-pound division, Frank Payne of Washington won when his opponent, Lamar Hicks of Plainfield, retired in the third round.

Baltimore's Odell Jones (165) defeated 1984 Olympic bronze medalist Aristides Gonzalez of Puerto Rico. The fight was stopped in the third round when Gonzalez's left cheek began to bleed uncontrollably. He had not fought competitively since the Olympics.