With only three negotiating days left before he is due in training camp, unsigned defensive tackle Dave Butz apparently still has no firm salary offer from the Washington Redskins.

Butz, who made $230,000 plus incentives of about $35,000 last season, said he has not talked with owner Jack Kent Cooke about a new salary.

"I know nothing," Butz said today by phone from his home in Belleville, Ill.

As a free agent, he is entitled to a 10 percent increase from his previous salary -- about $250,000. All indications are that figure is the only concrete number he has received from the Redskins.

Unlike most of his teammates, Butz negotiates directly with Cooke.

General Manager Bobby Beathard said he called Butz today and told him "to hang in there," that a deal may be worked out soon.

But Butz said he still might have to show up late to training camp. "Even if they go to the wire, I still need a couple days to get there," he said. "I have no plans right now to come to camp."

Cooke said today he has not spoken this week with running back John Riggins, another unsigned veteran. Riggins could not be reached for comment.

The Redskins' third veteran free agent, kicker Mark Moseley, apparently is close to an agreement. Most contractual negotiations have been completed, sources said, and all that remains to be settled are incentives and bonuses. No terms have been disclosed.

Meanwhile, negotiations with holdout cornerback Tory Nixon, the Redskins' top draft pick, have been halted, Beathard confirmed.

Larry Muno, Nixon's agent, said Monday that the Redskins had "stopped negotiating and have taken their offer off the table."

"That's accurate," Beathard said.

All indications are Cooke will join new negotiations, but it is not clear when they will begin.

"Right now," Coach Joe Gibbs said, "it's hurting (Nixon) and us."

Rookie wide receiver-kick returner Jamie Harris, who walked out of training camp in a contract dispute, returned and practiced today. "We had a long talk," Gibbs said. "He made a mistake, but he's going to get a clean slate and see if he can make the club."

Kick returner-wide receiver Mike Nelms broke a bone in his left ring finger in morning practice, he said, but has a splint around it and worked out in the afternoon . . . Offensive tackle Mike McClearn will miss "a week or two" of practice, Gibbs said, with a ruptured tendon in his left middle finger.