Mike Boddicker has given up worrying. All that stomach acid can be better used elsewhere.

The Baltimore Orioles right-hander, who has had such rotten luck so many times this season, had more of it this afternoon when the umpires called the game against the Texas Rangers after a 52-minute delay in the third inning because of rain that had been falling since morning. Boddicker had given up just one hit and was leading, 6-0.

This is the same Boddicker who has gotten more than four runs from his usually strong-hitting teammates in four of his last 19 starts.

"It's just typical of the whole year," said Boddicker, who is 10-13 with a 4.43 ERA. "I don't worry about it. It seems like how it's supposed to be."

The game, the final one between the two teams this season, is to be made up Monday at 2:05 p.m. Baltimore's Ken Dixon (5-3) will face Mike Mason. Monday was to be a day off for both teams, but the Orioles will have to catch a flight to Seattle after the game and the Rangers will head to Boston.

Boddicker said the only trouble he was having was landing with his left foot on the slick ground.

"If you're going to start it in the rain, you ought to finish it," he said. "It was already muddy when we started. We'e played in worse than this before, but it was awful wet."

Crew chief Jim Evans said he wanted to try to get in a full game but was hamstrung by the rain and the weather forecast.

"We started because both teams wanted to play," he said. "My decision was not to start and play five (the number needed for a regulation game); it was to play nine. That was also a part of my decision to stop in the third. Early in the year, you probably wouldn't start a game in weather like this, but with the forecast for more rain tomorrow and no other chance to make it up, you need to try. But the conditions got beyond the point of reason. I was watching the runners and they couldn't cut and they had to run on the grass."

"I have no objections," Orioles Manager Earl Weaver said. "I saw them (the umpires) at home plate before the game and told them they were in a no-win situation. The only questionable thing is putting tarp on at that point and only waiting 52 minutes. We were willing to wait two or three hours."

When Boddicker said the day "was a waste," he wasn't speaking just for himself.

Eddie Murray would have had two singles and his 90th and 91st RBI of the season. Floyd Rayford also had two hits that didn't count.

After Boddicker set the Rangers down in order in the first, the Orioles scored a run on one hit. Alan Wiggins walked to lead off, then stole second when starter Dave Stewart forgot about him, and scored on Murray's single to right center.

Boddicker gave up his one hit in the second inning, to Gary Ward.

The Orioles got five more in the third when they sent 11 batters to the plate. After Lee Lacy singled with one out, Cal Ripken walked. Lacy scored from second on Murray's second single to right center, with Ripken going to third. Ripken scored on Mike Young's infield hit, and Wayne Gross walked to load the bases. Rayford then bounced one toward third baseman Steve Buechele, who thought his only play was at home. But Murray beat the throw, at least in the eyes of umpire Ted Hendry, if not the television replay. Young scored on John Shelby's fly.

Dickie Noles replaced Stewart with an 2-0 count on Rick Dempsey, who eventually walked anyway, to load the bases. Gross scored the Orioles' sixth and final run when Noles walked Wiggins.