The Baltimore Orioles tied an American League high for the year tonight when they scored 10 runs in the third inning at the Kingdome. Thus armed with a 10-0 lead, their pitchers gave most of the margin away but the Orioles came out with an 11-8 victory over the Seattle Mariners.

Dennis Martinez, who worked five shutout innings before faltering, was rewarded with his 10th victory in 17 decisions. Jim Beattie (5-6) was the first of three Seattle pitchers to face 15 batters in the big inning, which produced five walks, four singles, two doubles and a two-run throwing error.

Eddie Murray collected his 91st, 92nd and 93 runs batted in during the rally. He had three of Baltimore's 13 hits.

The 10-run inning tied the 1985 AL mark set by Minnesota against Detroit April 30. It also equaled the Orioles' team record. Baltimore scored 10 in one inning against the A's at Oakland April 29, 1979 and at home against the New York Yankees July 8, 1969.

The Orioles were denied a run in the first inning when Mariners right fielder Al Cowens threw to the plate to cut down Cal Ripken. After Ripken doubled to right with two out, Murray hit a line-drive single that Cowens played on a hop. He sent a strike on a fly to catcher Bob Kearney, who tagged Ripken two feet away from the plate.

They threatened in the second as Mike Young doubled off the right-center wall with one out and Floyd Rayford lined an infield hit with two out, but Beattie retired Al Pardo on a bouncer.

Then the dam broke. Alan Wiggins led off the third with a walk, then got a big jump and stole without a throw. Beattie walked Lee Lacy on a full count, went to 3-0 on Ripken before throwing a strike, then walked Ripken to fill the bases for Murray.

Mariners Manager Chuck Cottier had enough after those three straight passes and called Frank Wills from the bullpen. Wills went to 2-0 on Murray before he drove a double to center, scoring the first two runs of the game. Wills' control failed, too, as he walked Fred Lynn.

With the bases full again, Young bounced to first and Alvin Davis tried for the forceout at home. His throw sailed over Kearney's glove. Ripken and Murray scored.

Larry Sheets singled in Lynn and Rayford singled in Young to drive out Wills with the score 6-0.

Cottier turned to Roy Thomas, who found the inning's first out in Pardo, on a fly to short right field. But Wiggins singled and, with three on again, Lacy added two runs with a single to center.

Ripken doubled, scoring Wiggins, and the 10th run materialized as Murray grounded out to first. Lynn walked again before Young ended the fun by grounding out.

Martinez had been listed only tentatively as the starter, because of a bruised index finger on his pitching hand. But through five innings, the right-hander allowed only four base runners -- three on hits and one hit batsman -- while striking out two and getting two double plays. Problems developed in the sixth.

Martinez started by walking Spike Owen and giving up a single to Jack Perconte. He struck out Phil Bradley and Davis popped up, but Gorman Thomas took Martinez for his 26th home run. Cowens promptly hit his 12th home run to end the Baltimore starter's work night. Tippy Martinez struck out Jim Presley to end the sixth.

The left-handed reliever got into trouble of his own in the seventh. Dave Henderson singled and Donnie Scott and Spike Owen walked to load the bases with no outs. So Weaver went to the pen for right-handed relief. Don Aase came in and struck out pinch hitter Ken Phelps and Bradley but Davis blooped a single into short left field, scoring two runs to cut the lead to 10-6.

Young's double scored Murray to make it 11-6 in the eighth before Scott hit a two-run homer in the home half.

Aase started the ninth with a walk to Domingo Ramos and when he went to a 2-1 count on the next batter, Bradley, Weaver came out to the mound at a trot. After saying his piece, he left it to Aase, who responded by striking out Bradley, then Davis, then getting Thomas on a fly to center.