SumoLeads Mason Over GW, 5-0.

There was reason for the slightest bewilderment when the George Mason University soccer team held only a 1-0 lead with less than 20 minutes remaining in its game against George Washington. But the Patriots scored four times in the final 20 minutes to defeat the Colonials, 5-0, yesterday in Fairfax.

George Mason, undefeated and ranked 16th in the nation in the Intercollegiate Soccer Association of America poll, has averaged more than 4.5 goals in its eight victories.

Yesterday, freshman Sam Sumo scored his 13th and 14th goals of the season. Fred Thompson, Bruce Lobdell and Tony Walsh also scored and Andy Hay and Mike Reynolds had three and two assists, respectively, as the Patriots dropped George Washington to 3-3.

"What I found out in college ball is that the fitness factor in the first 45 minutes is equal," said the Patriots' new coach, Gordon Bradley, who formerly coached the Washington Diplomats and the New York Cosmos in the North American Soccer League. "The longer the game goes on, the more the soccer team will come through. But to get to that point we have to run with our opponents and combat them."

In the first half, the Patriots and the Colonials played each other nearly even. The only goal came when Sumo, a striker from Liberia, scored on a pass from Mike Reynolds with 32:29 remaining in the half.

"In the first half," Bradley said, ". . . they had as much of the play as we did."

In the second half, George Washington fullback Joe Fimiani left the game with a bruised leg and Bradley added to the resulting imbalance by inserting Hay, a speedy forward.

George Mason took a 2-0 lead when Thompson converted a pass from Ray Elsessor. Elsessor slid the ball toward Sumo, but Sumo dummied, drawing two Colonials defenders to him but never touching the ball. It passed by Sumo to Thompson, who was open and easily beat goalkeeper Glenn Hughes for a 2-0 lead with 17:01 to play.

"Sam is a goal scorer and his experience belies his 20 years," Bradley said. "He got a great assist today and he never touched the ball. It tells us he knows the game."

Sumo made it 3-0 with 13:27 to play when he scored off Hay's pass. Lobdell scored less than three minutes late on another assist from Hay.

Freshman Tony Walsh completed the four-goal second half when he headed in a pass from Mike Reynolds with 5:56 left. Maryland 4, Navy 3 (OT).

Freshman forward Gary Furlong scored his seventh and eighth goals of the season in overtime and senior forward Desmond Armstrong scored twice in regulation to lead the Terrapins (5-2) in Annapolis.

Navy (1-3-1) led, 2-1, after Chris Clay's goal, but Armstrong scored on a header with 4:37 left in regulation. Howard 1, American 1.

Howard's Phillip Gyau scored with 1:56 left in regulation as the Bison (1-3-1) tied the eighth-ranked Eagles.

Fernando Iturbe scored in the first half for American (5-0-1). Mont.-Rockville 2, Prince George's 1.

Willy DeAra and Daouda Ouattara had goals for the Knights (4-3-1).