For the second straight night, George Mason was engaged in an intense basketball game, and for the second time, the Patriots came away without a victory.

On Tuesday, it was against powerful Georgetown, and last night, Boston University defeated George Mason, 71-69, on Tony DaCosta's 35-foot shot at the buzzer.

It was a wild finish before 3,468 at the Patriot Center. Brian Miller tied the game for George Mason with 15 seconds remaining, driving the lane and scoring on an eight-footer.

After a George Mason timeout, Boston beat the Patriots' full-court press and Dwayne Vinson attempted a layup off a two-and-one break. The shot missed, but DaCosta stole Warren Green's pass up court with three seconds left, dribbled five feet and put up a shot that banked in at the buzzer.

"I knew they were looking for the outlet man," said DaCosta. "I saw where he was looking to pass the ball, and I went in front and stole it. He threw a poor pass."

"You have any more of those left?" said first-year Terriers Coach Mike Jarvis, who was sitting close by.

"On paper, we're not supposed to be as good as George Mason," said Jarvis, who coached Patrick Ewing in high school. "This may be one of Boston University's greatest victories ever."

Both teams shot just under 50 percent in this game. Darrin Mosley was the only consistent scorer for George Mason, making eight of 11 shots to finish with a team-high 18 points. Ricky Wilson was second with 15 points, but he made only five of 15 shots. Rob Rose had 11 points and a team-high 13 rebounds.

"We didn't do the right things it takes to win," said George Mason Coach Joe Harrington. "We had too many turnovers, and we are not running the half-court offense well."

Boston got superb play from its swing guards, Drederick Irving and Vinson. Irving, a sophomore, led the Terriers with 22 points, and Vinson had 16.

Boston held a 67-62 advantage with 2:55 left, but Rose took the ball from half court and drove to the basket, making a shot and drawing a foul. He made the free throw and the Patriots were down by two.

Wilson tied the score, but Irving swished a baseline jumper with 28 seconds left to put the Terriers up, 69-67.