Sweden's Stefan Edberg defeated countryman Mats Wilander, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3, today to win the men's singles title in the Australian Open tennis championships.

Edberg, 19, denied Wilander a third straight Australian Open title by overpowering him with strong serves and backhands. Wilander, his right arm heavily taped, had his service broken four times as Edberg won his first Grand Slam tournament in his first Grand Slam final.

When Edberg took the title with a backhand shot, Wilander, 21, rushed to the net and put his arm around his Swedish Davis Cup teammate. They will play for the Davis Cup championship against West Germany, Dec. 20-22 in Munich.

Wilander, seeded second, said: "If there's somebody I don't mind very much to lose to, it's Stefan. He's a very good friend."

Edberg took home $100,000; Wilander $50,000.

Edberg broke Wilander in the 10th game of the opening set, the third game of the second and then the third and ninth of the third set to clinch the title in one hour 33 minutes.

The matches start was delayed two hours by rain and Wilander appeared edgy early, despite serving more aces than Edberg. In the second game, Wilander requested officials check the net. And in the next game, he requested a center line umpire remove his jacket as the sun was reflecting off its buttons.

It was the first all-Swedish Grand Slam final and meant all four Grand Slam men's crowns were won by different players. Wilander took the French Open; West Germany's Boris Becker won Wimbledon, and Ivan Lendl of Czechoslovakia won the U.S. Open.

The victory moved Edberg to fifth in the world rankings, displacing Becker, who lost in the first round in this grass court tournament.

"This has been one of my greatest tournments ever," Edberg said. "I've never been so happy in my life. I hope to be back in '87."

Edberg had scored a stunning 6-7, 7-5, 6-1, 4-6, 9-7 semifinal victory Sunday over Lendl, the world's top-ranked player. The rain-interupted semifinal lasted more than four hours.

Lendl, who was booed and jeered by the capacity crowd for poor sportsmanship, continued his sour mood after the match. "I don't call this Australian title a major championship. I put it in the second class with the Masters, WTC and Delray Beach titles," Lendl said.

Edberg led two sets to one and 4-4 in the semifinal when the rain halted play for 1 hour 43 minutes. When they returned, Lendl promptly broke Edberg's serve and held his own, tying at two sets all. Lendl got an early service break in the fifth set, but Edberg broke back immediately and had three match points in the ninth game -- all of which he squandered.

The third was a simple backhand which should have dropped into an empty court, but went over the baseline. "I thought I'd blown it," Edberg said. "You aren't supposed to think about those things, but when you miss such an easy backhand, you can't help it."

Edberg came back again, however, outlasting Lendl.

In women's doubles Sunday, Martina Navratilova and Pam Shriver won their fourth straight championship by beating Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Helena Sukova, 6-3, 6-4. Paul Annacone and Christo Van Rensberg, the second seeds, stopped Mark Edmondson and Kim Warwick, 3-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-4, 6-4, in the men's doubles final.