John McEnroe will take an extended break from his sport, the Men's International Professional Tennis Council said last night.

The world's No. 2-ranked player, who used to be No. 1, will not play in a tournament for at least 60 days and it is believed he may not return before May.

McEnroe petitioned for, and the council granted, a reduction of his player commitment obligations for 1986, a spokesman for the council said in New York. The reason given was to rest and get himself in shape. A top-10 player normally must commit to play 14 Nabisco Grand Prix events during the year.

McEnroe reportedly told French tennis star Yannick Noah last week he "won't be playing again until the baby's come." Actress Tatum O'Neal and McEnroe are expecting their first child around mid-May. Recently, the London Daily Mirror reported they planned to marry Feb. 17.

"John is overplayed and is unhappy with the level of his play," said John McEnroe Sr., agent for his son. "It is not what people expect of John and it is not what John expects of himself. He is going to take some corrective action by taking a rest."

The council noted that McEnroe must meet commitments for exhibitions over the next three weeks.