Charles Thompson made a short jump shot and converted one of two free throws with six seconds left tonight as Catholic came back from a six-point halftime deficit and defeated Salisbury State, 75-72, for its 14th straight victory.

The Cardinals (16-6) were led by guard Rob McCarry, who led all scorers with 28 points and had four rebounds, three assists and three steals. Thompson finished with 13 points.

Catholic, which shot 16 of 36 in the first half, made 19 of 30 shots in the second half to key the comeback.

Salisbury State (12-8) was led by Ron Pritchett's 23 points.

Trailing at halftime by 41-35, Catholic took the lead for good on McCarry's three-point play with less than 10 minutes remaining.

Salisbury State kept the score close and tied it at 72 with one minute left. Catholic worked the ball patiently in its half-court offense and got Thompson free for an easy jumper, and his subsequent free throw provided the final margin.

Salisbury State called time with six seconds left but was called for traveling on its next possession. St. Joseph's 76, George Washington 56: In Philadelphia, sophomore center Rodney Blake had 22 points, nine rebounds and eight blocked shots as the Hawks took advantage of the Colonials' poor shooting to win the Atlantic 10 game before 1,792 at St. Joseph's Field House.

The Colonials (8-13, 3-9 in the Atlantic 10) still have not won on the road after 10 tries this season. The Hawks improved to 17-4, 10-3.

George Washington gained a 12-5 lead after 6 1/2 minutes with Steve Frick scoring four points. The Colonials scored on four jumpers and two layups before their shooting turned cold.

When Hawks senior guard Maurice Martin picked up his third foul with eight minutes to play before intermission, George Washington had a chance to forge a halftime advantage. The Colonials, however, shot 32 percent in the half, making nine of 28 field goal attempts, and trailed by 24-20 at halftime.

Wayne Williams led St. Joseph's in the opening half with seven points and Blake had six. Frick scored six points for the Colonials in first half.

The Hawks, who shot 70.8 percent from the floor (17 of 24) after intermission, took a 44-31 lead with 12:47 left. But George Washington cut the deficit to 48-40 following a free throw by Moti Daniel with 7:57 to play. St. Joseph's then went on a 7-0 run, getting five points from Blake, to take a 55-40 lead with six minutes left.

George Washington, which was led by Troy Webster's 12 points, shot 37 percent for the game. St Joseph's, which got 15 points from Martin despite his foul trouble, hit 54 percent and made 18 of 22 second-half free throws.