Jimmy Connors, raging over a line call in the fifth set, defaulted his semifinal match against Ivan Lendl in the Lipton International Players Championships today when he refused to continue play.

With Lendl up a service break and leading by 3-2, 30-0 in the fifth set, Connors half swung at a return he thought was long.

When the ball was called good, giving Lendl a 40-0 lead, Connors stormed the umpire's chair and screamed at umpire Jeremy Shales.

"That was not a judgment call," he said. "I didn't even play the ball, it was so far out."

Shales refused to overrule the call. He issued a delay of game warning, then issued Connors' second code violation of the match. That gave Lendl a point and a 4-2 lead.

Connors, who protested wildly, continued his refusal to play, yelling, "I won't play under these conditions -- get the supervisor and referee out here."

At that point he was issued a game penalty, giving Lendl a 5-2 advantage. Tournament supervisor Ken Farrar, along with tournament referee Allan Mills, ran onto the court and told Connors if he didn't continue play in 90 seconds he would default the match.

The match was officially ruled 1-6, 6-1, 6-2, 2-6, 5-2 (default) in favor of Lendl.

Lendl, ranked No. 1 in the world and seeded first here, will meet second-seeded Mats Wilander in Sunday's title match. Wilander advanced when fellow Swede Stefan Edberg retired early in the second set because of a pulled stomach muscle with Wilander leading, 6-4, 1-1.

Connors, who earned $28,125 for reaching the semifinals, was fined $5,000 for failing to finish the match. He also could be fined up to another $20,000 and suspended from 21 days to one year. Farrar said he will make an initial decision on the penalty and then turn the matter over to Marshall Happer, administrator of the Men's International Professional Tennis Council, who also was at the tournament.

"I had had enough," Connors said in a news conference punctuated by cheers from fans surrounding the media tent. "You can only take so much. I'm out there giving my blood. I felt I was sticking up for my rights.

"All I want the guy Shales to do is pay attention. If he's paying attention on only one side of the court, that's not good enough," said Connors. "If there's incompetence there, I don't want to play anymore."

Lendl said he felt Connors had taken the wrong approach.

"I don't think a professional should default on a bad call," Lendl said. "I've had a thousand bad calls and he's had a thousand bad calls. You can't quit because of a bad call."

Both players protested more than half a dozen calls in the match, with Connors drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct violation during the third set and Lendl drawing a ball abuse violation in the second set.

"I think the umpire lost control of the match right away," Lendl said. "I'm always having problems with this umpire . . . . I don't think the guy is very consistent."

Farrar and Mills said they felt Shales, an Englishman who is one of two MIPTC chair umpires, had done everything properly.

"I think the whole situation was handled by the book," Farrar said.

Connors, the tournament's No. 3 seed, stormed past Lendl in the opening set breaking serve in the second and fourth games. But Lendl established control in the next two sets, breaking Connors four times.

Connors won the fourth set in a 12-point eighth game when Lendl double-faulted. Lendl broke in the first game of the fifth set and survived three break points in his next two service games to take a 3-1 lead. Connors held serve and the default took place in the next game.

The women's title match -- pitting top-seeded Chris Evert Lloyd against second-seeded Steffi Graf, 16, of West Germany -- will be held Saturday.

Evert, 31, has won all five of their head-to-head matchups, never losing a set. When they met in the final of the Virginia Slims of Florida three weeks ago, Evert won nine of the final 10 games for a 6-3, 6-1 victory