Friday night, the surprising Texas Rangers enjoyed a 12-3 laugher at the expense of the Orioles. It was the most runs the Rangers had scored against Baltimore in 160 games.

Tonight, it was Baltimore's turn to smile. Eddie Murray hit a grand slam and Mike Young had three hits and four RBI in leading the Orioles to a 10-4 victory before 20,442 at Memorial Stadium.

Murray, who began the season in a three-for-32 fog, had his first game-winning RBI, second homer of the year and 13th grand slam of his career in the fifth inning to break a 1-1 tie and help the Orioles (6-5) attain season-high totals in hits (14) and runs.

Murray also had a run-scoring double and now has seven hits in his last 12 at-bats.

"He's a great hitter . . . maybe tomorrow he'll hit line drives right at people," Rangers Manager Bobby Valentine said. "Good things happen to great hitters."

Orioles Manager Earl Weaver was especially glad to see Murray's big hit and hopes it has a positive effect on the other players.

"He was a few days behind because of an ankle injury , but he's back with us now," he said. "We need some more guys to hit home runs. We're getting hits and putting people on base. Now we have to start driving them in."

Young certainly did his part, getting two-run singles in the seventh and eighth innings to break open the game.

The Rangers (6-4) chased starter Mike Boddicker (2-0) with three runs in the sixth to close to 5-4. But Texas would get no closer as Don Aase, the third reliever used by Weaver, would shut down the Rangers in the final 2 2/3 innings to record his third save.

Boddicker, who allowed seven hits and four walks and had seven strikeouts, was hit hard early but survived as most of the line drives were caught.

The right-hander began to falter in the fifth when he suffered a possible ligament strain on the middle finger of his pitching hand. He will be X-rayed Sunday.

Other major Orioles contributors tonight were Alan Wiggins, with three hits and three runs scored; Rick Dempsey, with two hits and a tough defensive play to prevent a run, and Juan Bonilla, with two hits and two runs scored.

"I took a lot of trips to the mound, that's for sure," Valentine said. "We woke up a sleeping giant."

For all of four innings, this one had the makings of a pitchers' duel. Instead, the 3-hour 44-minute game produced 22 hits, 16 runners left on base, 13 walks and many, many trips to the mound.

Both teams scored single runs in the first inning before Boddicker and the Rangers' Mickey Mahler (0-1) settled down.

Mahler got in trouble in the fifth. Dempsey, Bonilla and Wiggins all singled to load the bases with none out. Exit Mahler, enter Dave Rozema.

Lee Lacy struck out and Cal Ripken was retired when third baseman Steve Buechele made a diving catch of a low line drive headed for left field. Rozema then faced Murray. The count reached 2-2 before Murray lofted a high fly ball that carried over the right field wall for a home run and a 5-1 Baltimore lead.

"I thought it was still in the park," Valentine said. "I thought it was coming straight down."

Texas got back in the game in the sixth, getting to Boddicker and reliever Rich Bordi for three runs. A fourth run was avoided when Murray made a perfect relay throw home to Dempsey, who stood his ground and tagged out Buechele, who tried to bowl Dempsey over.

The Rangers threatened again in the seventh, getting runners on first and second with one out. Aase relieved Tippy Martinez and induced pinch hitter Larry Parrish to hit into a double play. That would be the Rangers' final chance.

Baltimore then got two runs in the seventh and three more in the eighth.

It was the longest nine-inning game in the history of the Texas franchise, one Valentine and crew will try to forget very quickly.