Rick Meagher scored two goals tonight and the St. Louis Blues evened their Stanley Cup semifinal at two victories each with a 5-2 decision over the Calgary Flames.

The fifth game of the best-of-seven Campbell Conference final will be Saturday in Calgary. Game 6 will be here Monday.

Meagher, who also had an assist, is in the playoffs for the first time in his six-season NHL career.

"It's fun. It's indescribably fun," said Meagher, 32. "After about five years, I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen."

Blues goalie Rick Wamsley stopped 32 shots. Wamsley, 3-4 in the playoffs, allowed four goals in just over a period in Game 2 before being pulled. He did not start the third game.

Tonight, Meagher and Mark Hunter connected for Blues goals four minutes apart in the first period. St. Louis made it 3-0 on Gino Cavallini's rebound at 16:03 of the second period, then outlasted a Calgary surge while defenseman Rob Ramage served six minutes in penalties late in the second period. Ramage was called for a double minor for roughing and a two-minute penalty for hooking.

Bernie Federko, who ended the game's scoring with an empty-net goal with six seconds to play, won a faceoff in the Flames' zone to set up Hunter's goal, a slap shot that sailed past Mike Vernon at 7:33 of the first period. Rookie Herb Raglan helped St. Louis make it 2-0 at 11:37 when he sent a pass from the right corner onto the stick of Meagher, who had Vernon at his mercy at the mouth of the goal.

Cavallini, a former Flame, scoring his fourth goal of the playoffs, beat Vernon on a rebound of Lee Norwood's blocked shot, sending home a 10-foot drive after Calgary's Paul Reinhart failed to clear the puck.

The Flames then began to stir. Larry McDonald capitalized on the penalties that referee Bob Myers called against Ramage with a 20-foot shot past Wamsley with 54 seconds left in the period.

But Meagher scored off a pass from Ric Nattress, who stole the puck from the Flames and skated into the Calgary zone.

"Both of them were perfect passes. I couldn't ask for anything better," said Meagher. "Sometimes things just work like that. I feel very lucky to have been where I was tonight."

McDonald's second goal, in the opening minute of the final period, followed Meagher's second by 26 seconds. But it was not enough to overcome the lead St. Louis had built.

"We knew we were in for a battle with St. Louis when the series started," McDonald said. "Naturally, we would have liked to go up three games to one. Now it's two out of three. We have the home-ice advantage."