Washington Redskins cornerback Vernon Dean was charged with assaulting a police officer Friday night when "he became extremely violent" after the officer intervened as Dean struck a woman, Fairfax County police said yesterday.

Dean, who lives in Reston, was charged with assaulting a police officer, a misdemeanor, and with driving with a suspended operator's license, police spokeswoman Connie Curran said. She said the woman, whom police identified as Dean's fiance, did not press assault charges against him.

Curran said Dean, a Redskins starter each of the four years he has been in the National Football League, was released on personal recognizance bonds totaling $500 after appearing before a magistrate on the two charges.

His court date on the assault charge was set for June 17 at General District Court in Fairfax, according to the chief deputy clerk, Stephen M. Bennett. If convicted on the assault charge, Dean could be sentenced to one year in jail, according to Commonwealth's Attorney Robert F. Horan Jr.

According to a police spokesman, the suspended license charge carries a maximum six months in jail and a $500 fine.

Police said they responded to an emergency call from an anonymous person who said a woman was screaming in the 9000 block of Leesburg Pike in McLean about 9:40 p.m. The officer, who was not identified, found Dean, 27, and the 24-year-old woman arguing outside Dean's car along the roadway, according to Curran.

Curran said the woman, who lives in the District but was not identified, did not want to get back into the car with Dean and "no longer wanted to be with him at all." The officer drove the woman to the police station at 1470 Balls Hill Road in McLean, Curran said, and Dean followed them there in his car.

"At the station he got out of the car and began to strike the woman," Curran said. She said the woman, who was struck several times with his fist, was screaming, and when the officer intervened the football player "became extremely violent."

"The officer grabbed Vernon Dean and told him he was under arrest after he assaulted her," Curran said.

She said Dean resisted and a scuffle ensued, requiring two additional officers to subdue him. No one was hospitalized, Curran said, but one of Dean's teeth was chipped when his face hit the ground during the struggle with the officers.

Dean was not available to comment yesterday, nor was his Los Angeles-based attorney, Leonard Armato.

Charlie Taylor, a Redskins spokesman, said in a prepared statement: "The Washington Redskins are aware of Vernon Dean's situation with the Fairfax County Police but feel that, since it's a personal matter, no comments are necessary at this point in time."