France and the Soviet Union secured places in the second round of the World Cup soccer championship with victories yesterday.

The Soviets clinched first place in Group C with a 2-0 victory in Irapuato that eliminated Canada. France, the European champion, beat Hungary, 3-0, at Leon.

Previously, Brazil and Denmark had made the second portion of the 24-team tournament.

The Soviets will play the third-place team from Group A, B or F Sunday in Leon. The French will not play until June 17, when they face the runner-up in Group A in Mexico City. That could be either Italy or Argentina, the winners of the last two Cups.

Hungary's only chance to advance would be as a third-place team -- four of them advance -- but its minus-7 goal differential just about precludes that.

Canada went scoreless in losing all three games in its World Cup debut. "We have given all we've got," said Coach Tony Waiters. "We're disappointed at not scoring a goal or winning a point, but we've learned what we need to do in the future to improve Canadian soccer."

The Soviets used nine second-stringers against Canada, but the move nearly backfired as the Canadians kept them scoreless for 57 minutes.

But Oleg Blokhin scored after Igor Belanov, who had just entered the game, gave him a side-footed pass. After kicking it in, Blokhin fell in the goalmouth, apparently injurying his knee. He was replaced by Alexander Zavarov.

Zavarov made it 2-0 in the 74th minute, collecting a pass from Gennady Litovchenko on the edge of the penalty area and chipping it over charging goalie Tino Lettieri.

"When we came here we were not considered favorites but forecasts are only forecasts," Soviet Coach Valery Lobanovsky said. "Our team has shown what it can do.

"Our objective was to finish first in the group and we achieved this. We don't know our next opponent, but we'll continue preparing as we have done. We'll be ready."

France went up, 1-0, when Yannick Stopyra headed in a long centering pass by William Ayache. The French scored again when Jean Tigana converted a superb give-and-go with Dominique Rocheteau, and again when Rocheteau converted Michel Platini's pass.

The FIFA suspended several players yesterday. Samir Shaker, an Iraqi defender, got the stiffest penalty, being "suspended from all FIFA activities until further notice" because he "spat at the referee" following the Iraq-Belgium match. He also was suspended for one game for receiving two warnings Sunday.

Suspended for two games were England captain Ray Wilkins for throwing a ball at the referee in Saturday's scoreless tie against Morocco and Iraqi midfielders Basil Gorgis and Haris Mohammed for "insulting the referee" during the Iraq-Belgium game.

Midfielder Miguel Bossio was suspended from Uraguay's next match, against Scotland, after being ejected for a foul in Sunday's 6-1 loss to Denmark.