Texas A&M freshman Floyd Heard beat Carl Lewis in the 200 meters today to stop his bid for a triple on the concluding day of The Athletics Congress outdoor track and field meet at the University of Oregon's Hayward Field.

Heard, who finished fourth behind Lewis in the 100 meters Friday, won today with a wind-aided time of 20.03.

Dwayne Evans finished second with a time of 20.12, Kirk Baptiste was third with a time of 20.14, and Lewis was fourth with a time of 20.3.

Heard and Lewis were out first, but Heard took control at the curve and could not be caught.

Heard maintained a slight edge throughout the straight. Lewis, Evans and Baptiste all made moves at the leader but could not dent the lead.

"What a great experience," Heard said. "Chills went through me when I knew that I had won, and beaten Carl.

"This is the first time I have raced against him Lewis , but I felt like I was the guy to watch if Carl did not win. I think he was tired after the 100 and long jump yesterday. He didn't come after me at all."

Said Lewis: "I just ran out of gas. I was not pointing to this race; I really wanted the 100 and the long jump.

"I think my 200 meters will be better as the year progresses. I have not concentrated on it at all. I really ran for the fun."

In the women's 200, Pam Marshall of Mazda Track Club won with a wind-aided time of 22.24 without much opposition. It is the fourth straight year that the winner of the women's 200 also won the 100 meters.

"It feels great. I didn't feel quite as good as yesterday because of a slightly tight groin muscle, but it didn't bother me," said an obvious elated Marshall, a resident of Inglewood, Calif., and the mother of a 7-year-old.

"I was never really threatened during the race, and after beating Evelyn Ashford yesterday, I was so excited. I always looked up to her -- she is like an idol to me. But she didn't congratulate me after the race; I wish she had."

The triple jump went to Charlie Simpkins of Summerville, S.C., with a wind-aided jump of 58-9 1/4. Michael Coley, the pre-meet favorite, finished second at 58-6 1/2, and Willie Banks was third at 57-5 3/4.

"I felt very good coming into 1986," said Simpkins. "I have a lot of confidence from last year.

"I feel that I have a little something to prove since Willie and Mike get so much of the attention. I feel that I can jump even better than today. I put no limit on it."

In the 400 meters, Darrell Robinson set a meet and stadium record with a time of 44:47. Bill Green set a stadium record in the hammer throw with a toss of 250 feet.

Henry Marsh, who lives in Eugene, won the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 8:19.16. Jim Cooper was second in 8:19.88, and Farley Gerber was third with a time of 8:20.07.

For most of the race, Marsh stayed at the rear of the pack. But with two laps to go, he moved up to the lead pack.

At the bell, Gerber took the lead and soon he and Marsh were dueling down the back straight. At the last water jump, Marsh took command and sprinted away to his sixth consecutive TAC win in the steeplechase.

"The competition today was excellent," said Marsh, who will be going to the Goodwill Games next month in Moscow. "I'm so proud of the U.S. steeplechasers these days. There are so many running well."

In the men's pole vault, Mike Tully equaled the meet record when he vaulted 19-0 1/4. Earl Bell finished second with a vault of 18-8 1/4 and Joe Dial was third at 18-8 1/4.

"I felt pretty good," Tully said. "My tries at the American record felt pretty good, but I just haven't jumped much this year. With this wind you should be able to jump 20 feet. It was almost too good. I jumped 19-4 in practice Sunday with no wind.

"I am still the best American vaulter -- I don't care what anyone says. I mean, there is no way I'm not."