Citing "the need to get away and make a new start," basketball player David Gregg said yesterday that he intends to transfer from the University of Maryland to one of "four or five" schools, including Long Beach State and one Atlantic Coast Conference school.

Gregg, who was in a dormitory room with Len Bias when the all-America used cocaine last June 19, had been under an indefinite suspension from the Maryland basketball team since last July 30. At that time, Chancellor John B. Slaughter suspended both Gregg and then-Maryland player Terry Long, who was also in the dormitory room, for their involvement in the activities surrounding Bias' subsequent death from cocaine intoxication.

Gregg and Long were both charged with possession of cocaine and obstruction of justice. However, the charges against both were dropped in exchange for grand jury testimony that led to the indictment and subsequent trial of Brian Tribble. Tribble was acquitted of drug charges June 3.

Gregg admitted during his grand jury testimony that he had used cocaine with Bias the night Bias died.

Gregg, whose scholarship status was being scutinized by school officials as the NCAA's July 1 renewal deadline approached, made the issue moot with his decision -- one he said he had been considering "since the fall semester {of 1986}."

"I told the coaches about a month and a half ago that I was thinking about transferring," Gregg said.

"They told me to do what I thought was right, that they would let me come back if I wanted to or, if I wanted to leave, they would help me find someplace else to go. Wednesday, when I told them I had definitely made up my mind, they said again they would help me out."

The 6-foot-9 forward said the decision to leave Maryland was not a difficult one.

"It's been very tough," said Gregg, a graduate of Northwestern High School in Hyattsville, the same school Bias attended. "Wherever I go, people point and say, 'Oh, there goes David Gregg,' and all that sort of stuff. I've been getting more attention for this than I did for my basketball."

As a freshman in the 1985-86 season, Gregg played a total of 106 minutes in 15 games, averaging 1.9 points and 0.7 rebounds per game. Gregg's statistics exceeded those of only one other player on the team.

Gregg's suspension prohibited him from practicing with the team last season. Coach Bob Wade said Gregg's playing status for the upcoming season was still in doubt, although his scholarship was not.

"There was no directive from the basketball office that his scholarship not be renewed," Wade said yesterday.

Gregg's departure leaves Maryland at the limit of 15 scholarship players. This includes Phil Nevin, who, according to both Wade and Maryland Athletic Director Lew Perkins, plans to return in the fall.

"My assumption is that Phil is coming back," said Perkins. Wade said Nevin was enrolled in summer school and remains "a member in good standing of the program."