The agent for rookie cornerback Brian Davis said yesterday he has "resigned" himself to a contract holdout from the start of training camp by the Washington Redskins' top draft pick.

"We've mapped out a strategy in which he's not coming in," said Art Wilkinson, Davis' Philadelphia-based agent. "At this point, we're not expecting him to be there on time."

Davis is required to report Sunday to the team's Dickinson College training site in Carlisle, Pa. Practice for rookies and selected veterans, including quarterbacks, begins Monday. A player who is unsigned cannot practice. The Redskins have 25 unsigned players: all 11 draft choices and 14 veteran free agents.

"It's awfully important we do get {the draft choices} in in time, but not at any cost," General Manager Bobby Beathard said Wednesday.

Wilkinson and Davis, the 30th selection overall in the April draft, had been seeking a package believed to be worth an average of $250,000 per year. Recent developments around the NFL, however, have changed their thinking.

The Buffalo Bills signed defensive back Nate Odomes, the 29th player selected in the draft, for $1.136 million for four years. Wilkinson said the Atlanta Falcons are close to agreeing with running back Kenny Flowers, the 31st player selected, for terms "that are bigger than Odomes' numbers."

Wilkinson said the difference between what the Redskins want to pay Davis and what Davis wants to be paid is "about $200,000."

"I'm not encouraged that we will reach an agreement {by Sunday}," Wilkinson said. "Brian and I talked today, and he agrees with what we're doing. He told me, 'This is what I hired you to do.' "

If Davis holds out, this would be the fourth consecutive year the Redskins have not had their top draft choice at camp on time because of contract problems. Defensive linemen Bob Slater (1984) and Markus Koch (1986) missed a portion of their first week of practice, and cornerback Tory Nixon (1985) missed two weeks and later was traded to the San Francisco 49ers for a draft choice.

Davis, who lives in Phoenix, is going to fly to Philadelphia Sunday morning and will stay at Wilkinson's home, the agent said. Wilkinson said he will be out of town and out of touch from Friday afternoon until Sunday night.

"But I'll leave updates on my answering machine," he said.