MADISON, WIS., AUG. 22 -- It's only preseason, the Washington Redskins reminded themselves early this evening. Not long after the Green Bay Packers gave them two fumbles, five interceptions, and, finally, a victory, the Redskins realized probably nothing they face in the long NFL season to come will ever be as easy as this was.

The Redskins embarrassed the Packers, 33-0, in front of 64,768 at Camp Randall Stadium. They said later they didn't really mean to do it. They would have liked a better game to get a truer picture of where they stand three weeks before the regular season. They also said that the score was deceiving, that they didn't play all that well themselves.

"I felt bad for Green Bay," said Washington Coach Joe Gibbs. "Everything they did was wrong, and because it happened so early, things got out of kilter. They just got out of hand."

Another person who felt bad for Green Bay was its coach, Forrest Gregg. "I would have to say that was probably the worst offensive performance I have ever seen," Gregg said. "I couldn't figure out what was going on."

The Packers gave the game to the Redskins within a pathetic 3 1/2-minute stretch of the first half. They ran five plays from scrimmage and turned over the ball four times. The Redskins scored two touchdowns because of this.

The Packers switched quarterbacks in midstream and things only got worse. Of their first four passes that were caught, only one went to a Packer. Three passes in a row were intercepted, five overall in the first half. Has a bunch of defensive backs ever had more fun than Washington's in that first half?

The Redskins offense looked great by comparison, but rather ineffective compared to its usual standards. Gibbs said he kept quarterbacks Jay Schroeder and Doug Williams in longer than expected because "things were not going real smooth" when they played. Schroeder completed only three of eight passes for 25 yards; Williams was eight for 17 for 135 yards and a touchdown. Third-stringer Mark Rypien came in with 4:30 left in the third quarter and threw a 52-yard pass on his first snap and finished four for seven for 70 yards and a touchdown.

Schroeder said he "wasn't sharp," and figured he will receive much more work in the final two preseason games. Williams said he was rushing and overthrowing his passes because the Packers were blitzing to try to get something, anything, going.

"You have a tendency is a game like that, one that gets out of hand, to say you're on the right track," Gibbs said. "We've still got a lot of things up in the air for us."

It was hard for anyone to get a handle on a game like this. Individual Redskins looked good in glimpses: rookie running back Timmy Smith entered the game in the second offensive series and appeared to pick his holes well, bouncing outside for an 11-yard touchdown run early in the second quarter. He rushed for 45 yards on 19 carries, both game highs.

Rookie tackle Ed Simmons played in place of Mark May (bruised shoulder) and seemed to more than hold his own. Veteran defensive tackle Dave Butz caught running back Kenneth Davis for a four-yard loss and actually showed some emotion, high-fiving one or two teammates. Butz' high emotional threshold became a controversy two weeks ago.

But nothing the Redskins (2-0 in preseason) did, individually or collectively, could match the antics of the Packers (0-2).

The Redskins held a 3-0 lead on Jess Atkinson's 42-yard field goal when the Packers began to unravel. Late in the first quarter, starting quarterback Randy Wright, rushed by defensive ends Charles Mann and Markus Koch, overthrew receiver Walter Stanley (who was to figure in another interception later in the half) and was intercepted by strong safety Alvin Walton at the Green Bay 44-yard line. Walton returned the ball to the 12. Unable to gain a first down, Washington called on backup kicker Andre Guardi, who missed a 28-yard field goal.

It hardly mattered. The Packers only had the ball for one play. After an offsides penalty on the Packers, new quarterback Chuck Fusina stepped up into the pocket for his first play and promptly threw the ball into the hands of linebacker Rich Milot. Milot ran 27 yards to the Green Bay 1, where he was shoved out of bounds. On the next play, running back Rick Badanjek scored, following the block of second back Reggie Branch out of the I formation. With 45 seconds left in the first quarter, the Redskins led, 10-0.

After the kickoff, Green Bay ran one play without incident before Fusina was intercepted again, this time by free safety Todd Bowles. On the first play of the second quarter, Bowles, a highly-regarded reserve, stepped in front of Keith Paskett to take the pass away and return it six yards to the Green Bay 37.

The Redskins ended up punting four plays later after three consecutive incompletions by Schroeder.

But, never fear, the Packers were back on offense again, which means the Redskins offense was soon to reappear. It only took one play, this one a fumbled handoff by Fusina, which bounced around a few moments before defensive end Steve Hamilton fell on it at the Green Bay 11.

Smith scored on the next play, springing outside of the left side of his line for the 11-yard dash to the end zone and a 17-0lead. All this, and there still was 14:18 left in the half.

The Redskins had two more interceptions in the half. Cornerback Vernon Dean, looking like the intended receiver, made an improbable diving interception of Fusina midway through the quarter, while rookie cornerback Brian Davis fought Stanley for the ball and got the interception of rookie Don Majkowski's pass in the end zone on the final play of the half.

"We knew they were having quarterback problems, with {Wright} coming in late after a contract holdout and {wide receiver Phillip} Epps out {with a hamstring pull}," Dean said. "We had pretty good coverage. Plus, there are a lot of guys out there competing for starting spots, for roster spots. We're all trying to make something happen."

The Redskins made a couple of mistakes of their own in the first half, and there's a strange story behind them. Jeff Bostic uncharacteristically made two bad snaps -- one on Steve Cox's 51-yard field goal attempt, the other on the extra-point try after Williams' 47-yard touchdown pass to Derek Holloway put Washington ahead, 23-0, with 51 seconds remaining.

After the game, Bostic said his hands were slippery and covered with silicone. The Packers defensive linemen, he said, sprayed silicone on their jerseys so the Redskins blockers would not be able to grab them.

"My hands felt like they were dipped in motor oil," Bostic said, water still beading on them. "It's an old defensive line trick, but I've never seen it used in an exhibition game before."

In the third quarter, Rypien came in at a very unusual time -- on second down and nine at the Washington 33. Gibbs said he wanted Williams to play into the third quarter, but the change was abrupt. After waiting for his chance, Rypien completed a 52-yard pass to Ricky Sanders on his first play, then threw a one-yard scoring pass to Branch seven plays later, at the very end of the period, for a 30-0 Redskin lead.

Finally, Atkinson added the exclamation point, a 38-yard field goal, to make it 33-0 with 13:15 remaining.