The National Football League's supplemental draft of Cris Carter and Charles Gladman, originally scheduled for this morning, was postponed yesterday for a week so the NCAA could hear appeals to reinstate the players' eligibility.

Carter, a wide receiver at Ohio State, was declared ineligible for signing an agreement with and accepting about $6,800 from agents Norby Walters and Lloyd Bloom. Ohio State Athletic Director Richard Bay, after meeting yesterday in New York with NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, said he would be inclined to appeal to the NCAA on Carter's behalf.

Carter said in an interview last night he will meet this morning with Buckeyes Coach Earle Bruce, with whom he has not spoken since June, to discuss his possible return. "I think he deserves to get an apology, at least, for {my} breaking the rules and not being honest," Carter said.

Gladman, a running back at the University of Pittsburgh, was ruled ineligible for refusing to cooperate with the NCAA's investigation of the New York-based agents, who also are the target of a federal grand jury probe in Chicago. He has denied he is a client of Walters and Bloom, but Bloom said this week that he signed Gladman prior to his junior season and loaned him "about $2,500."

Rozelle met earlier yesterday with Bay and other college athletic directors to discuss the league's decision to allow Carter and Gladman to participate in the draft, which will be held today for four other players not involved in the agent controversy. The postponement in the draft for Carter and Gladman, the NFL said, was prompted by an NCAA decision Wednesday to restore limited eligibility to Pitt safety Teryl Austin, another client of Walters and Bloom.

Austin's eligibility was restored, the NCAA said, because he cooperated with the association's investigation into his dealings with agents. Austin must repay $2,500 in loans he received from the agents to become eligible and he will not be allowed to play in Pittsburgh's first two games.

With the draft rescheduled for Sept. 4, the NFL said in a statement, "Carter and Gladman and their institutions . . . now have opportunities to pursue similar appeals for reinstatement to the NCAA."

Bay said, "Given that set of circumstances . . . it is now incumbent upon Pittsburgh and Ohio State to go back and reexamine the cases with the other players."

Lew Cryer, chairman of the NCAA's Division I Eligibility Committee that ruled on Austin, told the Associated Press from his home in Irvine, Calif., "Because Mr. Austin got his eligibility back doesn't mean everyone else will. Every case is different."

In April, Carter's legal adviser, Boston College law professor Robert Berry, petitioned the NCAA seeking clemency for a client he did not name. In exchange he promised cooperation in the association's investigation into the agents' activities. When the NCAA denied the request and Ohio State declared Carter ineligible for his senior season, Carter turned to the NFL.

It has been a long ordeal for Carter, who had not even finished his sophomore year when he received an offer from Walters and Bloom. The agents offered him a loan, interest-free. He was intrigued. Before the end of that school year, he received a followup call from Walters. "Norby said, 'Lloyd Bloom is on his way to see you,' " Carter recalled. "Norby said, 'And Lloyd's got the scratch!' "

On May 1, 1986, Bloom arrived in Columbus, Ohio, with a promissory note, an agency representation contract and a briefcase full of cash. Carter signed the documents. Bloom handed him $5,000. In the months that followed, World Sports & Entertainment Inc. -- Walters and Bloom's company -- also gave Carter a monthly allowance, ranging from $150 to $300, and the use of a car, a Hyundai.

Carter kept the agreement secret throughout his junior season, during which he set three school records and was named a consensus all-America. But last month, in the midst of a federal investigation of Walters and Bloom, Carter was forced to admit to Ohio State officials that he had made a secret deal.

"Cris Carter has made quite a few mistakes, and he admits he's made these mistakes," Carter's new agent, Mitchell Frankel, said from his office in Boston. "But now it seems that he has become a symbol of the problems between the NFL and NCAA. And now Cris must face the consequences."

Already the consequences have not been pleasant. They include: An undesirable image. Last March, Ohio State officials asked Carter if he had made an agreement with -- or accepted any money from -- an agent. He flatly denied having done so. He told the truth only after he had been subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury in Chicago that was investigating Walters and Bloom. "Everyone now looks at Cris as the symbol of bad, that he's defied the whole system," said Frankel, a lawyer who entered the sports agency business last year. "I want people to remember that Cris is a young man. I was 21 once, you were too. And we made some mistakes."The likelihood of a lawsuit. Bloom said in an interview from his home in southern California that World Sports & Entertainment will sue Carter to enforce its representation agreement. "We'll sue him, there's no doubt about it," Bloom said. "We want our money back plus half commission. That's all being handled by Norby." Walters could not be reached for comment. Berry acknowledged that over a 10-month period Carter received about $6,800 from WSE. According to Berry and Bloom, some of the money was funneled to Carter by his older brother George, who worked for WSE as a recruiter. George Carter could not be reached for comment. Berry said it was "premature" to comment on whether Cris Carter intends to repay WSE.A possible indictment. Dozens of college athletes have appeared before the grand jury in Chicago to answer questions about their relationships with Bloom and Walters. Carter got his turn on July 14. According to Berry, the U.S. attorney's office in Chicago has been examining whether monies received by the athletes from Bloom and Walters should have been declared to the IRS as taxable income, whether the athletes defrauded their universities by signing statements that they had not violated NCAA rules and whether the athletes should be charged with mail and wire fraud because they received monies from WSE by mail and wire. Although Berry said his client may still be indicted, he added: "I'm very hopeful, because of his full cooperation {with federal authorities}, that Cris will not be indicted."

This week, Carter found himself at the epicenter of a controversy involving the supplemental draft.

Frankel notified NFL clubs last week that Carter would be available to be timed in the 40-yard dash. "Everyone is saying that Cris is slow," Frankel explained. "We want to show the clubs that he can run the 40 in 4.6 or better." But on Monday afternoon, Frankel still had not found a site for the workout. "We've had a tough time finding any facility because some colleges did not want to get involved because of all the negative publicity surrounding him," Frankel said.

By Tuesday morning, Frankel said, officials of the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis had agreed to allow the workout to be conducted there. But Wednesday the invitation was withdrawn.

Frankel eventually found a site for the workout: an indoor tennis facility in Kokomo, Ind. Only one NFL scout -- representing the St. Louis Cardinals -- attended the workout yesterday. Carter ran the 40 in 4.54 seconds, according to Frankel.

"All this controversy has all been difficult for me," Carter said. "But there's controversy basically over everything people do nowadays. And athletes are a focal point."

Until last night, the NFL had refused repeated requests by college officials to postpone the draft, concluding it does not have a legal right to prevent a player from participating in a draft. With Gladman and Carter out, the draft will involve only Dan McFadden, a defensive back from the University of Miami; Marquis Pleasant, a wide receiver from Southern Methodist; Chester Savoie, a defensive back from Nicholls State, and Paul Miller, who the NFL said did not play college football. Thirteen teams, including the Washington Redskins, had said they would not participate.

With today's draft postponed, Frankel said he is optimistic that Carter and Bruce will resolve their differences. "Cris is upset at the pain he's caused Coach Bruce," Frankel said. "Now, I hope it's like a father who gets upset with a son who's done something wrong. When a son says he's sorry the father usually forgives him."