NEW YORK, SEPT. 7 -- Hana Mandlikova exited the U.S. Open today in a fury. Zina Garrison left in tears. But their motivations, other than defeat, were entirely different.

Mandlikova, the 1985 champion and the fourth seed this year, lost to Claudia Kohde-Kilsch, 6-7 (7-4), 6-4, 6-1, after receiving a point penalty and a game penalty in the third set. Garrison, the seventh seed, lost to close friend Lori McNeil, 7-6 (7-0), 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), after a forehand by McNeil cracked the tape and just crawled over the net when Garrison had match point.

"Whenever I watch her matches, I can't believe the lucky shots she gets," Garrison said. "After that point, I couldn't see anything, just that shot. I couldn't even see myself winning. I just couldn't believe it. I really thought I outplayed her."

McNeil will play Chris Evert in the quarterfinals. The six-time champion labored just short of two hours, finally beating Manuela Maleeva, 7-5, 6-4, after Maleeva saved five match points. Kohde-Kilsch plays Helena Sukova, a 6-4, 6-2 winner over Anne Hobbs. The other quarterfinal will match Martina Navratilova, a 6-0, 6-4 winner over Catarina Lindqvist, and Gabriela Sabatini, who recovered from a disastrous first set to beat Bettina Bunge, 1-6, 6-1, 6-1.

This was the day the women's tournament turned serious. Even top-seeded Steffi Graf struggled a bit, beating her countrywoman, Sylvia Hanika, 7-5, 6-2. Next, she plays Pam Shriver, who defeated Jana Novotna, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).

But most of the results were overshadowed by the performance of Mandlikova, on and off the court.

In the second set, she was issued a warning after arguing a foot-fault call. Her point penalty, which came at 1-1 in the third, was for profanity directed at a line judge.

Then, as Mandlikova walked toward her chair for the changeover after falling behind, 2-1, she smashed a courtside flip-card scoreboard with her racket. That drew the game penalty, issued by Georgina Clark, supervisor of officials on the women's tour.

The match was over soon after that. "I never had that happen in a match before," Kohde-Kilsch said. "I didn't hear what she said the first time so I didn't know what was going on. She played very hard in the game at 3-1 but when I won that, she just gave up completely."

Mandlikova refused to come to the mandatory postmatch interview and when reporters went to the locker room looking for her, doubles partner Wendy Turnbull locked the door. Mandlikova later agreed to talk after her doubles match.

During that match, also a loss, Mandlikova was issued a warning for ball abuse. After the match, she told an official that she would not come to the interview room because, "whatever I say is always negative."

Back in the clubhouse, Mandlikova, instead of turning left to go to the locker room, turned right into a public restroom.

When a reporter entered the restroom, Mandlikova said, "If somebody can screw me out of a match on bad calls and then take a game away when I don't deserve it, they can have the match." With that, she left the grounds.

In all, Mandlikova's fines will total $750 -- $500 for the three violations in the singles match and $250 for refusing to go to the interview room. Both fines can be appealed. That fine schedule is far less severe than the men's, witness John McEnroe's $17,500 in fines Saturday, and Mandlikova cannot be subjected to suspension. She could be fined an additional $10,000 when the women's disciplinary committee, made up of five players, meets in November.

Mandlikova's behavior detracted from Kohde-Kilsch's biggest win in two years. Down a set and 4-2, the 6-foot- 1/2 West German began to come back. She ran off the last four games of the set to even the match.

At 1-all in the last set, Mandlikova netted a backhand that gave Kohde-Kilsch a break back. At that point, the base line judge reported to umpire Tom Cooke that Mandlikova had cursed at him, prompting the point penalty. Then came the game penalty.

"I'm very disappointed this happened here because I don't think we really have a problem in the women's game," Clark said. "But a four letter word is a four letter word."

Garrison had no problems with officials. Her troubles came from her best friend and doubles partner, McNeil, who upset her in an emotional, dramatic match that hung on the netcord at match point.

That shot came with Garrison serving for the match at 6-5 in the final set. The third set had been full of service breaks and Garrison went up, 4-1, when McNeil double-faulted on break point. Then she double-faulted to allow McNeil to break to 4-2. After McNeil held, Garrison was broken again on another double fault.

In between, there were some wonderful points, both players chasing down balls and attacking at every opportunity. This was only the second tournament meeting between the two women, who grew up together in Houston, practice and travel together and play doubles together.

It also was the first meeting between two black, seeded players in U.S. Open history and a number of people were surprised that even on a day full of big matches it was relegated to what is considered the number four court.

Tournament referee Gayle Bradshaw said the heavy schedule forced the match to an outside court. "There just wasn't anything we could bump outside," he said. "Putting the top seeds outside is tough because of security. I wouldn't criticize our fans, but New York is different from London."

From 4-all, Garrison reached 6-5, 40-15 after breaking on yet another double fault. On match point one, McNeil attacked, hitting a gorgeous backhand winner. Then came match point two -- the netcord. "It hit the net and could have gone either way," McNeil said. "For a minute I thought it was over."

Instead, it was deuce. McNeil ran out the game and quickly jumped up, 5-1, in the tie breaker. Up by 6-4, McNeil pushed a forehand volley long and double-faulted again. It was 6-6.

McNeil steadied one more time, again taking the net. Garrison, chasing a forehand volley, netted a backhand. Match point three for McNeil. She came in, punched a volley and, when Garrison's return cracked the net tape and didn't crawl over, it was over.

The handshake was brief, both women a little shaken. "I'd like to be excited about being in the quartefinals," McNeil said. "But it's hard." For Garrison it was harder. "I didn't get to play the French or Wimbledon {because of an injury} and now this," she said. "It will take me a long time to forget this."