NEW YORK, SEPT. 14 -- John McEnroe, still awaiting the birth of his second son, said today that he will appeal his two-month suspension from Grand Prix tennis although he does not think the decision will be overturned.

Unshaven after a weekend of waiting for his wife Tatum to tell him it was time to go the hospital, McEnroe appeared this morning at a Manhattan restaurant to promote a November exhibition tournament in Ixtapa, Mexico. Before the presentation, he talked about his current situation.

"We'll try to appeal it," he said. "My feeling is that I've got to give it a shot, fight it to the bitter end. It's a matter of pride, I guess. I do feel a reprimand in some form is justified, but I think two months is a little too much.

"I know the odds aren't too good and there's not much sympathy for me. What I did was wrong, but I don't think I should be suspended two months for cursing."

McEnroe was given a total of $7,500 in fines after being given a warning, a point penalty and a game penalty by chair umpire Richard Ings during his five-set victory over Slobodan Zivojinovic in the third round of the U.S. Open nine days ago.

Because those fines put him at $7,500 in fines for the second time since the Men's International Pro Tennis Council instituted new rules at the start of this year, McEnroe was fined an additional $10,000 and suspended for two months.

"I was wrong to curse," he said. "But this is not an unrelated incident. I've had that guy {Ings} in other matches and he's done an abysmal job. Sometimes you think you have to do things to get people to listen to you. The problem is I've been doing that for years and now it's reached the point where it's a lot more negative than it is positive.

"Bad words were used and I'm paying for it. It's a sad situation. It's sad that I did it and sad that it happened. In my nine years in tennis I think they've changed 24 rules because of me. It's too bad that's happened.

"I've fought it and fought it, but now time is running out for me. It's time to shape up or they're going to ship me out. If I got another suspension {it would be four months the next time}, it would be very hard for me to come back from that.

"I hope I can use this break -- if I have to take it -- positively. Get myself together. There have been a lot of ups and downs since I came back last year and I need to use this time well."

McEnroe's agent, Peter Lawler of Advantage International, said his hope is to get Pro Council administrator Marshall Happer to reduce the fine to less than $7,500 so McEnroe won't be suspended.

"But the larger point is getting the rule changed," Lawler said. "If we don't get it changed, John's going to end up out of the sport and I don't think anyone wants that.

"The rule should say that you can't get fined more than $1,500 unless you're defaulted. It just isn't right to be suspended two months when you weren't even deemed off base enough to be defaulted."