The Washington Redskins received a temporary restraining order from a Fairfax County Circuit Court judge yesterday to keep striking players from picketing on the property of Redskin Park in the wake of an incident in which defensive tackle Darryl Grant cracked at least one window in a bus carrying strike-breaking players.

That early morning incident, in which no one was injured or arrested, was followed by two confrontations involving striking Redskins and the players brought in to replace them. When the bus left Redskin Park yesterday evening, approximately 45 Fairfax County police officers formed lines to shield the bus from the strikers. The striking Redskins taunted the bus and at least one player hurled several eggs at the vehicle, but again, no one was hurt or arrested.

Minutes later, about 20 Redskins gathered in the lobby and bar at the Dulles Airport Marriott Hotel to protest the presence of the strike-breaking players, who are staying there. Hotel security guards and a Loudoun County law enforcement officer stationed at the scene said extra officers were called to the hotel, but, before they arrived, the Redskins left.

At 7:15 a.m., when the bus carrying the Redskins' new players turned into the team parking lot, Grant and several other strikers slowly walked in front of the bus, then were nudged by two police officers to the side of the vehicle as it passed. At that point, Grant, who was banging on the side of the bus and shouting obscenities, jumped up and hit at least one window with his right fist, causing it to crack. The glass did not shatter, apparently, but the window will have to be replaced, said Redskins executive vice president John Kent Cooke.

Mark E. Buehm, the general manager of Airport Connections, which provided the bus that was rented by the Redskins, said he inspected the bus after the incident and saw two broken windows. Grant said he hit only one. In an affadavit filed in Fairfax County Circuit Court when the Redskins sought the motion for a temporary injunction, Buehm said the replacement cost for the damage would be $600 to $700.

It's uncertain who will pay for the replacement, but, said Cooke, "I'm sure it will be replaced."

Grant was not arrested, but an incident report was written and filed by Fairfax County police, said Maj. E.A. Stevens. The act Grant committed is a criminal offense -- destruction of private property -- but he was not arrested because neither the Redskins nor the bus company pressed charges, Stevens said.

In the Redskins' bill of complaint, the Redskins maintained the players' picketing was unlawful and that the players attempted to block the bus by pounding on its sides, breaking at least one window, and by making "threats of violence" against the passengers. Both sides will be back in court today as the temporary restraining order, which forbids players from committing any acts of force or violence, expires and the team seeks an injunction to replace it.

Grant, who spent much of his day walking the picket line yesterday, said he thought too much was made of the incident.

"I was trying to get the guys' attention that we didn't appreciate what they were doing," Grant said. "I just slapped a window and put a little crack in it. By the time {the story} got back to me, I had knocked out three windows and the driver was spitting out shards of glass."

The restraining order, granted by Judge Barnard F. Jennings, is believed to be the first sought by an NFL team during the players' two-day-old strike.

Chip Yablonski, an attorney for the NFLPA, said the Redskins were making "a mountain out of a molehill."

"We don't want any violence," Cooke said. "We want to keep our relationship with the players as friendly as possible . . . I am concerned there may be violence, not necessarily by players, but by the other unions."

(The Redskins were joined on their picket line yesterday by members of the United Mine Workers, National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians, National Education Association, the Food and Allied Service Trades and one Eastern Airlines pilot, among others.)

When the new players' bus pulled into Redskin Park at about 7:15 a.m., it caught many by surprise. It was earlier than expected. Only four Redskins were manning the picket line at the time: Grant, Cliff Benson, Reggie Branch and player representative Neal Olkewicz, according to Olkewicz. Just two Fairfax County police officers were at the driveway when the bus came through. Two others were at another driveway 200 feet away.

"There was a communication problem between us and the club," Stevens said.

When the bus pulled out after practice at 6:30 p.m., about 45 police officers were on the scene, said officer Bill Coulter, a police spokesman. Approximately 35 Redskins were picketing.

When the strike-breaking players took the field for morning and afternoon practice, the players on the picket line jeered and taunted them. The striking Redskins obtained a roster with the players' names and numbers and yelled at certain players.

Meanwhile, when they were not walking the picket line, the Redskins' striking quarterbacks and receivers were practicing at an undisclosed location, Olkewicz said. Some defensive players also practiced, he said.

Washington Post Staff Writer Dave Sell contributed to this report.