From the picket line to the courtroom, the management of the Washington Redskins and the striking players have calmly begun to settle in for a strike that could be longer than anyone originally thought.

The temporary restraining order obtained Wednesday by the Redskins was extended until Oct. 6 after the Redskins and National Football League Players Association decided yesterday not to have a courtroom hearing on the matter.

There was concern that a hearing "could exacerbate tensions," said NFLPA attorney Chip Yablonski.

"Cooler heads are prevailing," Yablonski said. "On the first day of a strike, people tend to get overenthusiastic."

By yesterday, the third day of the strike, the enthusiasm was down, perhaps in part because of the apparent lack of progress in negotiations in Philadelphia aimed at ending the strike. Management and union officials met into the night without apparent success and the league called off all games scheduled for this weekend.

The Redskins received no opposition from the players union on their request for an extension of the temporary restraining order, and it was granted by Fairfax County Circuit Court Judge Barnard F. Jennings. The order forbids players from committing acts of force or violence as they picket at Redskin Park. On 24 hours written notice, either side may seek to modify or vacate the order, according to the terms of the extension.

"We wanted to be sure that the first day wasn't repeated," said Redskins executive vice president John Kent Cooke.

The Redskins sought the temporary restraining order after defensive tackle Darryl Grant cracked at least one window in a bus carrying replacement players into Redskin Park Wednesday morning. No one was injured or arrested in that incident, nor in two other confrontations during the rest of the day.

Yesterday, the picketing Redskins were on their best behavior. Other than yelling at the bus when it pulled into and out of the team parking lot, the striking players acted as if they were at a picnic. They ate fried chicken, socialized, walked, sat on car hoods and even called Fairfax County police officers by their first names.

"This is getting to be a big event here," said player representative Neal Olkewicz.

There were fewer players picketing yesterday than on the previous two days. One of the reasons was that the players again practiced in small groups at an undisclosed location. Another was that they seem to be sensing the strike could go on for some time.

"We had some initial optimism," Olkewicz said. "That happens a lot. You hear something and you think the strike might end. I remember in 1982 {the last time the players struck}, something would happen and we would be optimistic, only to have it continue."

The relaxed atmosphere among the picketers didn't mean emotions were not still running high. Punter Steve Cox said he did not "respect" Jack Weil for crossing the picket line and replacing him. "This is going to be remembered. He is going to be marked."

And quarterback Babe Laufenberg said the players were "insulted" by the statement by Jack Donlan, NFL Management Council executive director, that it will take "six to eight weeks" to resolve matters even after the main issue of free agency is settled.

"I say fire the guy and get someone who can settle it in about two days, because it can be done it about two days," Laufenberg said.

Inside Redskin Park, Coach Joe Gibbs was busy working with his replacements, but still was thinking of his regular players. He had a message for them.

"Tell them I hope nobody gets in trouble out there and everyone stays in shape," Gibbs said.