NEW YORK, SEPT. 29 -- The National Football League owners' executive committee said today there is no reason to return to the bargaining table until the NFL Players Association changes its position on liberalizing the current policy of free agency.

The six-member committee representing management of the 28 clubs met here for 3 1/2 hours and also decided that the past weekend's games called off because of the players' now-eight-day-old strike will not be made up at season's end, largely because network television has other commitments.

The committee decided to increase security at all stadiums Sunday (and Giants Stadium Monday night) in hopes of preventing possible incidents involving striking players.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFLPA, said the union would do "whatever's necessary" to stop the games. "We'll haunt those games," Upshaw said in Atlanta after meeting with representatives of six teams. "They are really tearing down our product, and we don't like it."

In Philadelphia, Ed Marion, executive director of the Professional Football Referees Association, said regular referees will work the replacement games.

Apparently, there will be no more talks before Sunday's games involving teams composed almost entirely of nonunion personnel.

The owners and their chief negotiator, Jack Donlan, believe striking players will begin to return to their teams after this weekend.

"If the games get off the ground and are played well," Donlan said, "the players will come back sooner . . . In the worst case scenario, do they think we're going to give them free agency if the games are bad? No. When the players know these games are going to count, and when the realize they are not going to be paid, we think they will come back."

M.J. Duberstein, director of research for the NFLPA, said the players lost $13.4 million in salaries last weekend and claimed the owners lost $53.2 million in revenues.

The six owners who met here today -- Pittsburgh's Dan Rooney, Cincinnati's Mike Brown, Dallas' Tex Schramm, Miami's Joe Robbie, Cleveland's Art Modell and Tampa Bay's Hugh Culverhouse -- decided that any striking player who returns to his club by Friday (of each week the strike lasts) can play on Sunday.

The executive committee also decided that each team can dress 45 players, but there will be an active pool of 55 players per team as long as the strike continues.

Culverhouse said it is his understanding that the networks will continue to telecast the games. "We did have a television report {presented by Modell, chairman of the television committee} and everything seems to be going along pretty smoothly, supportive."

According to the existing blackout guidelines, few if any of this weekend's home games would have been televised locally because many tickets will be refunded. So, the committee decided to "project" which games would have been sold out 72 hours in advance (the requirement for showing the home team locally). Eight home games will be televised in local markets, including St. Louis at Washington; six will not.

Culverhouse said the committee will decide which games will be televised on a week-by-week basis in the event the strike continues.

White Might Return:

Dallas quarterback Danny White, having discussed personal financial considerations with NFLPA teammates, reportedly will cross the picket line today and join the Cowboys' strike team . . . Otis Taylor, a scout and former star receiver for the Kansas City Chiefs, filed an assault complaint against linebacker Jack Del Rio. During picketing last week at Arrowhead Stadium, Taylor claims, Del Rio collared him and, in a brief scuffle, his lip was bloodied . . . Cullen Bryant, 36, who last played in the NFL in 1984, will switch from Los Angeles Rams assistant strength coach to his old job as a fullback this week.