Freshman midfielder Jon Hall of American University scored two goals in a college-record nine seconds yesterday in a 3-2 loss to George Washington at American.

Hall, a native of Great Britain, scored at 68:35 and 68:44, giving the Eagles a 2-2 tie. The Colonials' Kenny Emson scored shortly afterward to win the game. It was the first time since 1978 that George Washington has beaten the Eagles.

Mickey Cochrane, a historian for the Intercollegiate Soccer Association of America, the governing body for college soccer, said Hall's two goals set a college record.

"For a team to score two goals in nine seconds is a one-in-a-million shot," Cochrane told the Associated Press last night from his home in Bowling Green, Ohio. "For an individual to do it is absolutely phenonmenal."

In college soccer, the clock is stopped when a goal is scored. In international play, however, halves are 45 continuous minutes, and FIFA, the world governing body, does not keep statistics on time.

The Eagles (4-4-2) had no serious threats until Hall scored twice to tie the score. On the first goal, freshman Paul Allen led Hall along the left wing and he hit the right corner from 16 yards.

On the ensuing kickoff, Hall, who has five goals this season, stole a pass, dribbled in, and beat George Washington goalkeeper Harry Bargmann from 18 yards.

"I thought when they scored those two quick goals that it would kill us," said the Colonials' first-year coach, George Lidster. "It should have demoralized us. But it proved that this team is building and improving with each game."

Emson put the Colonials (4-3-2) ahead for good with 18:53 to play when he intercepted Steve Marland's pass and broke in alone on AU goalkeeper Tim Helmig. Emson dribbled to the right side and beat Helmig to the far left corner.

"We came back and then we gave them a silly goal," Eagles Coach Pete Mehlert said.

The Colonials dominated the first half. Senior Orville Reynolds scored two goals, both coming on long crosses from sophomore Bruce Heon in the first eight minutes.

At 2:41, Heon's long throw-in from the right sideline was headed in by Reynolds.

Five minutes later, Heon again found Reynolds alone in front and the senior from Mississauga, Ontario headed it into the left corner.

"Bruce's passes were right there for me," said Reynolds, whose older brother Mike was an all-America at George Mason two years ago and whose young brother Adrian is a freshman at Mason.

AU had two chances to tie it late in the game, but Marland's header with 17 minutes left was two feet over the crossbar. Another header by Marland, with 50 seconds left, was stopped by Bargmann.

The Colonials are unbeaten (3-0-1) in their last four games, after starting the season 1-3-1.

Besides their long losing streak against AU, the Colonials had another incentive: Their coach last year, Tony Vecchione, is now American's assistant.

"Oh, we knew he was here, but the major thing is that we finally beat American," Reynolds said.

Each team had 10 shots on goal. Hall, who was moved from a midfield position to forward before the game, had five of AU's attempts.

"I told my players to go out and play immediately," Mehlert said. "We didn't and they did."

Virginia 4, Richmond 1:

All-America John Harkes scored his 13th goal of the season to lead the undefeated and No. 1-ranked Cavaliers (14-0-0) past the Spiders at Richmond.

Virginia, which outshot Richmond, 31-8, also got goals from Jay Del Carmen, John Maessner and Jeff Schulstad.

William and Mary 3, Howard 1:

John Tuttle scored two goals and the Indians (9-1-1) defeated the Bison (2-4) at William and Mary.

Tim Dahan also scored for William and Mary.

Philadelphia Textile 1, Maryland 0:

Hugh Langan scored the game's only goal in the first half as Textile upset the Terrapins (5-4-2) at College Park.