Nothing sounds more like music to the ears of visiting players than boos pouring down from the stands. There were plenty at Capital Centre last night, as the Detroit Red Wings dealt the Washington Capitals their first shutout in 125 games, 1-0.

Steve Yzerman scored the only goal at 6:33 of the first period and thereafter goaltender Glen Hanlon and his red-clad teammates made it a very frustrating night for the Capitals.

Hanlon finished with 32 saves and his eighth career shutout, leading the Red Wings into a share of first place in the Norris Division.

"I can't catch Terry Sawchuk with his 100 or so shutouts, so I put more stock in wins and losses," Hanlon said. "You have to be lucky to get a shutout and I was lucky tonight. Several times I made a save and the rebound would bounce over their sticks."

Two former Washington defensemen, Darren Veitch and Lee Norwood, performed superbly in front of Hanlon, clearing away the rebounds before the Capitals could do any damage.

"It's great to come in here and hear the boos, as long as they're not for me -- and I know they're not," Veitch said. "This is the way {Coach} Jacques {Demers} likes us to play. We dump the puck in, get on them and wait for a mistake. Tonight they made one mistake and it was enough. It was real satisfying for me. You don't see very many 1-0 games."

This was only the second 1-0 game the Capitals have ever been involved in. The other was a 1-0 victory in Pittsburgh on Oct. 25, 1983.

Yzerman netted his 14th goal of the season on a drive from the left-wing circle that sailed under the glove of goalie Pete Peeters. Yzerman was wide open, after taking a pass from Bob Probert, because the Capitals had botched a change on the fly and were running around in their end.

Probert was involved in every Detroit goal for the second straight game. In Saturday's 6-4 triumph over New Jersey, he had two goals and four assists.

Detroit totaled only 15 shots, but that one was sufficient to deal Peeters his first defeat in 15 career decisions against the Red Wings.

A key to the outcome was Washington's inability to score in seven power-play opportunities. Detroit clutched and grabbed and took some penalties as a result, but never paid for its sins.

"There was a lot of grabbing and our speed drew some penalties," said Washington Coach Bryan Murray. "But we didn't make them pay. Against a team like that, you have to score on the power play."

Demers downplayed the 32-15 imbalance on the shot clock, saying, "The shots were misleading. I thought we played a heck of a game. It was check, check, check and we frustrated the Caps at times. I just told the players to go out there and try to win every shift, and we won a lot of them.

"We scouted them against Minnesota and we concentrated on keeping their defense out of the play. I thought the key was stopping Larry Murphy and he didn't come in much tonight."

Hanlon proved the most frustrating Red Wing of all, although he was bending over from weariness in the last few minutes. Hanlon collided with teammate Mark Kumpel in practice Friday, needing 17 stitches in his upper lip and losing two teeth. Earlier this season, he sliced his hand with a saw while working on a stick and required 10 stitches.

"My mouth was no problem," said Hanlon with a bit of a lisp. "But I was short of conditioning from lack of practice. Because of travel and getting hurt, I haven't practiced much and I was so tired.

"Actually, I was so tired I couldn't think and sometimes I play my best hockey that way."

Hanlon was especially tough in the second period. During one Washington power play, he stopped a Scott Stevens drive with Kelly Miller screening, dove from left to right to block a shot by Mike Gartner and foiled both a long shot by Murphy and Mike Ridley's rebound. Later, he made a superb stop on a backhander by Dale Hunter.

"We got a lot of chances," Murray said. "They're a frustrating team, one of the best defensive teams in the league. They kill penalties very aggressively and with the fans getting on our team, we tried to rush things too much instead of making the good play. I'd say of our 32 shots we had eight or nine pretty darned good chances.

"Hanlon made the stops when he had to. But we should be able to score in our building. We're pressing now and we've talked so much about not scoring that when we get a good chance, we don't finish."

The Capitals were last blanked by Bob Froese in Philadelphia on March 13, 1986. The last zero inflicted upon them at Capital Centre was by Tom Barrasso of Buffalo on March 2, 1985.

With the defeat, the Capitals once again fell below .500, at 8-9-1.

Detroit 1 0 0 1 Washington 0 0 0 0

FIRST PERIOD SCORING -- 1, Detroit, Yzerman 14 (Probert, Gallant), 6:33. PENALTIES -- Norwood, Det (holding), :40.

SECOND PERIOD SCORING -- None. PENALTIES -- Halward, Det (interference), 2:42; Kocur, Det, minor-major (high-sticking, fighting), 7:03; Adams, Was, minor-major (instigator, fighting), 7:03; Gartner, Was (cross-checking), 8:11; Burr, Det (cross-checking), 13:16; Klima, Det (holding), 17:26; Hunter, Was (holding), 19:41.

THIRD PERIOD SCORING -- None. PENALTIES -- Zombo, Det (interference), 6:40; Houda, Det (holding), 12:00; Higgins, Det (slashing), 17:13.

Shots on goal: Detroit 4 8 3 15 Washington 12 9 11 32

Power-play opportunities: Detroit 0 of 2; Washington 0 of 7.

Goalies: Detroit, Hanlon (32 shots-32 saves). Washington, Peeters (15-14).

A -- 12,729.

Referee -- Paul Stewart. Linesmen -- Mark Vines, Gord Broseker.

Islanders 4, Kings 3:

In Uniondale, N.Y., Denis Potvin's second goal of the game capped New York's three-goal rally in a 3:53 span of the third period and gave the Islanders the victory.

Potvin, the NHL's all-time top scoring defenseman, scored the Islanders' first goal of a four-goal third period on a power play. He connected for the game-winner with a wrist shot from the left faceoff circle that slid in off the far goalpost with 2:33 remaining.

The Islanders have won five straight. The Kings' late collapse continued their defensive problems -- they've given up 22 goals in the last three games.

Bruins 6, Flames 3:

In Calgary, Steve Kasper had two goals and two assists and goaltender Reggie Lemelin made a triumphant return to the Olympic Saddledome as Boston won its fourth straight.

The loss ended Calgary's winning streak at three.

Lemelin, who signed with Boston as a free agent without compensation during the summer after seven seasons with the Flames, made 30 saves before a crowd of 18,837. Doug Dadswell, who replaced Lemelin on the Calgary roster, made 16 saves.

Canucks 6, Penguins 4:

In Vancouver, Dan Hodgson continued his torrid play since being recalled from the minors by scoring once and assisting on four goals as the Canucks won.

Hodgson has three goals and seven assists in four games since being summoned last week from Fredericton, where he was leading the AHL in scoring by averaging two points a game.

Tony Tanti and Stan Smyl had two goals each, and Doug Lidster had the other Vancouver score. The Canucks scored three times on power plays.