MILLERSVILLE, MD., NOV. 21 -- Bowie and Arundel played 100 minutes of soccer tonight and still neither team emerged a winner. In sub-freezing cold at Old Mill, the two teams became Class AA co-champions as they played to a 0-0 double-overtime tie.

In the other state championship games, Centennial shut out Middletown, 4-0 to win the Class B title; South River was a 2-1 Class A winner over C. Milton Wright, and Hereford and Mount Savage became co-champions in Class C, tying 1-1.

By tying, Bowie became the first Class AA team to twice win at least a share of successive titles. The Bulldogs upset Rockville last year, 2-0, to win the state. The Bulldogs also defeated and then tied Severna Park in 1982 and 1983.

This was the second time this season the two teams have met. They tied 1-1 early in the year. "Obviously, I have mixed feelings," said Arundel Coach Nick Jauschnegg, whose team finished 10-4-2. "You'd love to come out a winner so in that respect I'm disappointed. But our team played well against a very good Bowie squad and didn't lose. So that's not too bad."

Both teams had ample opportunity to score but stellar performances from goalies Pat True (16 saves) of Arundel and Jeff Wenttang (10 saves) of Bowie squelched every threat.

"It was getting scary back there," said True of Bowie's attack that finished with 30 shots on goal. "They had the ball so often down deep I just wanted to try and keep good position on their shots."

Bowie (12-1-2) was able to control the midfield and therefore dominated play for the most part. But Arundel's defense, which included a four-man backfield, was able to smother all of the Bulldogs' chances.

"Every time we got by one defender, two more would come crashing by," said Bowie forward John Ceruzzi. "They were sacrificing their bodies for anything. Their defense played a heck of a game."

In the Class A game, South River (12-4) jumped out to a 2-0 first-half lead over C. Milton Wright (13-2-1). Greg Dean, with an assist from Terry Buchanan, scored for South River at 10:25 and Christian King, with an assist from Brian Kerr, made it 2-0 at 13:51. Tim Ellis, with an assist from Kevin Kirchner, accounted for the Mustangs' score.

So impressive was Centennial that it appeared this team would match up well with any Class A or AA school. Centennial (15-0), in gaining its 13th shutout in 15 games, attacked at will.

Middletown (14-1-1) never got a shot on goal in the second half. Centennial's starting defense, led by fullback Mike Rotsel and goalkeeper Glenn Meininger, has not allowed a goal in two regular season campaigns. In this year's four playoff games, Centennial outscored opponents, 15-0.

"They had so many guys running through, it was impossible to keep them marked," said Middletown sweeper Brian Barkdoll. "They knew what they were doing and they knew exactly where they had to be."

Centennial, which lost the coin flip, had to face the wind in the first half. The Eagles hoped simply to enter halftime scoreless. But when Chris Mills headed a free kick by Shawn Adams inside the near post at 27:42, Centennial took control.