H.D. Woodson erased two years of bad memories yesterday.

Darrell Hewlett rushed for 104 yards and scored two touchdowns as H.D. Woodson defeated two-time defending Interhigh League football champion Coolidge in the league title game, 21-6, before an estimated 8,500 at Howard University's Greene Stadium.

Coolidge (5-5) had beaten H.D. Woodson in the two previous league title games.

H.D. Woodson (9-1) managed only 135 yards total offense, had a 90-yard kickoff return by Jeffry Taylor nullified by a penalty and botched three other scoring chances inside Coolidge's 20, but Coach Bob Headen wasn't complaining.

"When you lose two straight championship games, you have to be happy to beat the team that beat you both times," said Headen who has won five championships, more than any coach since the game was initiated in 1955. "My goal is to win three consecutive titles and Sam {Taylor, Coolidge coach} had won two and I at least wanted to deny him his third straight."

Taylor had won four titles in four appearances in the title game before yesterday. His team, which beat Cardozo, 38-0, to earn a third straight title game berth, played very well in spots but failed to come up with the big play when it needed it.

Coolidge was assessed only two penalties and stopped several Woodson threats, but totaled 165 yards and failed to convert three good scoring chances.

On the game's third play, receiver Sean Chisley broke free down the center of the field, but Daymon Anderson's pass was too high. From that point, the Warriors pretty much controlled matters.

After Chisley's short punt to his 30, the Warriors scored in two plays. On a second and 11 from the 31, All-Met quarterback Henderson Mosley scrambled until he spotted his favorite receiver, Rodney Hounshell, loose in the end zone. Mosley hit the split end with a perfect pass and the Warriors led, 6-0, with 5:47 to play in the first period.

Woodson took advantage of a Coolidge fumble to score its next touchdown. Taking possession at the Colts' 20, the Warriors failed to move and Mosley missed a 38-yard field goal. But a procedure penalty called before Mosley got his kick off put the ball back to the 26.

On a fourth-and-16 call, the Warriors fooled Coolidge with a draw play and Hewlett broke free and raced into the end zone for the score. Hewlett also scored on the two-point conversion and the Warriors were up, 14-0, with 3:08 to play in the period.

"We blitzed and they ran a draw," Taylor said.

Coolidge reached Woodson's 26 and 13 on its last two possessions of the first half, but fourth-down plays were unsuccessful.

Luck contributed to Woodson's next score. Center and punt snapper Lewis Choice hurt his ankle on an earlier series and could not snap on a fourth and three at the Coolidge 28. The Colts had no choice but to gamble, and Woodson's Orlando Brown sacked Anderson for an eight-yard loss.

Four plays later, Hewlett scored on a three-yard run. Mosley's conversion kick made it 21-0 with 6:24 to play in the third quarter.

"My line said, we block, you run," said Hewlett, a 5-foot-10, 195-pound junior who rushed for more than 1,100 yards this season.

Coolidge's best drive of the day was on its final possession. Aided by a 15-yard penalty, the Colts went 75 yards to avert a shutout. Chisley, who was outstanding at tailback and linebacker, caught a 10-yard scoring pass from Anderson with less then two minutes left in the game.

"We beat them the first time {14-0 during the regular season}, but we played tougher this time," said Mosley, a senior. "This was it for me and the game was for the gold. We came out to show we were in charge and the way to do that is run the ball right at them. We did that."Coolidge (5-5)...........0..0..0..6....6 H.D. Woodson (9-1)......14..0..7..0...21

W -- Hounshell 31 pass from Mosley (kick failed)

W -- Hewlett 26 run (Hewlett run)

W -- Hewlett 3 run (Mosley kick)

C -- Chisley 10 pass from Anderson (pass failed)