BALTIMORE, NOV. 28 -- Freshman center Brian Williams played aggressively after a tentative opening night, Derrick Lewis played like, well, Derrick Lewis and Maryland beat Mississippi, 77-69, tonight to win the MCI-Harbor Classic in front of 6,538 at the Baltimore Arena.

Lewis, who was named the tournament's most valuable player, did the job inside with his jump hook, blocked shots and rebounds and outside with his jumper and his passes. He got Maryland's first four points, then had a crucial three-point play after Ole Miss closed to within two points with less than four minutes left in the game. For the night, Lewis had 27 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and four blocked shots.

"I wouldn't say I was worried," Lewis said of the Rebels' late charge. "We had built a lead and I thought if we went back to what we had done we could rebuild the lead."

What the Terrapins (2-0) were doing early was fast-breaking. In between, they went inside to Lewis and Williams.

Williams, a 6-foot-10 freshman, was not a big factor in the first-round win over Loyola because of early foul trouble. Tonight, he avoided the cheap fouls. The result was 20 points, a game-high 12 rebounds, five blocked shots and just three fouls.

"We looked at the film and we showed Brian that he was not playing aggressively," Maryland Coach Bob Wade said. "We said if he was going to foul someone, he may as well really foul someone."

Ole Miss Coach Ed Murphy, whose team is 1-1, had worried about Maryland's fast break and shot blocking.

"They play six inches higher than we do and they run better," Murphy said after Friday night's games. "If we get going up and down the court, we'll get pounded. It's two totally conflicting styles. But we'll hang around."

Murphy was right on both counts.

Maryland blocked shots, ran the break and before five minutes were gone in the game, led, 16-2.

Lewis started the run with two little jump hooks, Williams (11 first-half points) tipped in another errant shot. Lewis' block started another fast break, which Steve Hood finished with a 17-footer from the right wing.

With Maryland leading, 13-2, Williams blocked a shot to start the break, filled the lane, got the ball from Hood and dunked. He then made the ensuing free throw for a 16-2 lead with 15:06 left.

"Tonight, I buttoned down," said Williams, who wore a look of fierce determination in the first half.

But like Murphy said, the Rebels hung around.

While the Terrapins seemed to get a bit too caught up in their own excitement, Ole Miss scrapped and fought back. The Rebels put together a 12-2 run, with Roderick Barnes' basket cutting the Maryland lead to 18-14 with 9:01 left in the half.

Sean Murphy -- the 6-10 freshman center and son of the coach -- scored on an 18-footer to slice the Maryland lead to 22-20. Maryland recovered enough to lead, 36-28, at halftime.

Rudy Archer, who joined Lewis on the all-tournament team, scored for a 46-32 lead with 14:26 left in the game. That was Maryland's biggest lead since early in the game.

But Ole Miss didn't quit. The Rebels cut the Terrapins' lead to 55-51 with 8:15 left. Maryland briefly stopped the surge. Teyon McCoy scored from 17 feet, and Lewis scored twice to make it 61-52.

But again Ole Miss came on.

Greg Turner made two free throws and Ronnie Miller hit a three-point shot. After Lewis missed two free throws, Charles Prater scored to cut the Terrapins' lead to 61-59 with 4:02 left.

In a tight spot, Maryland still goes to Lewis. The senior scored inside and even made the free throw to increase the Maryland lead to 64-59 with 3:37 left.

After that, Ole Miss got to within 71-67, but no closer.

The Terrapins made their free throws down the stretch and Williams ended the game with a dunk.

In the consolation game, St. Joseph's beat Loyola, 64-52. The Hawks' balanced scoring -- led by Richard Stewart's 16 points -- was enough to overcome 28 points by Fort Washington's Mike Morrison.