For most area schools, the 1987-88 college basketball season began in earnest Saturday night.

In its usual season-opening trip to Hawaii, Georgetown had its usual success, pounding Hawaii-Loa, 92-39, for the second time in as many nights. In an upset, Virginia lost to Rhode Island in the final of its Investors Classic. Falling somewhere in between the lock and the shock, Maryland defeated Mississippi to win the inaugural MCI-Harbor Classic; Navy proved it could win without David Robinson -- at least against top Division II teams like Mount St. Mary's -- and George Washington started its season by beating Yale.

Maryland defeated Loyola (74-60, Friday night) and Mississippi (77-69, Saturday night). Although the Greyhounds and the Rebels are not the caliber of teams Maryland will face in the Atlantic Coast Conference, two wins are two wins -- and after a 9-17 record last season, this was a welcome way to begin.

"In order to build anything, you've got to build a foundation," Maryland Coach Bob Wade said. "These young men laid a good foundation the past two days. We made some mistakes and we realize that. . . . But they hung tough and at the end of the game, they executed and went to the people we know can put the ball in the basket."

This weekend, at least, those people were Derrick Lewis and, to a lesser extent, freshman Brian Williams. Against Mississippi, Lewis had 27 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and four blocked shots. He was the tournament's most valuable player. Williams, who had been largely ineffective in the first game because of foul trouble, played aggressively on both ends Saturday and finished with 20 points, a game-high 12 rebounds, five blocked shots and just three fouls.

The 16th-ranked Hoyas, who defeated Hawaii-Loa, 92-41, Friday, were leading, 7-4, Saturday night in Honolulu when Coach John Thompson ordered a full-court press. The result was devastating.

Led by 6-foot-8 freshman forward Anthony Tucker, from McKinley High School, the Hoyas went on a 23-0 spree that gave them a 30-4 lead with 8:50 remaining in the first half. Tucker scored nine of his 11 first-half points during the run. He finished with a game-high 19 points.

"The younger kids got more involved in the defense," Thompson said. "We ran well. We got out and pressed and scored off our defense. It's not enough to get the ball, you've got to score off it."

Eleven Hoyas scored and Georgetown forced a total of 39 turnovers, including 23 steals.

Virginia had problems Saturday night when the two people who must put the ball in the basket this season failed to do so. Guards John Johnson and Richard Morgan led the Cavaliers with 19 and 16 points, respectively; however, Johnson was eight of 21 from the field and Morgan was six for 15. The result was a 76-73 loss to Rhode Island. It was the Cavaliers' first nonconference loss at University Hall in 59 games and the first time in the tournament's 11-year history Virginia did not win the title.

Navy's 80-75 victory at Mount St. Mary's also was a streak-ender: It was the Mounties' first regular season loss at home in 30 games. The Midshipmen, who trailed by 16 points with 15 1/2 minutes to play, outscored Mount St. Mary's, 51-34, in the second half.

"I thought this season we could make up for the loss of David Robinson by three guys getting 40 or 50 points per game {combined}," Navy Coach Pete Herrmann said. "Our big loss was {point guard Doug} Wojcik."

Senior guard Cliff Rees scored a career-high 28 points, but Herrman said he was concerned that Rees ended up having to do much of the ballhandling in key situations. Forward Derric Turner finished with career-highs of 23 points and 15 rebounds for Navy.

George Washington Coach John Kuester was delighted the Colonials held Yale to 35 percent field goal shooting in a 77-65 win at New Haven, Conn.

"It was important for us to start off by getting a victory on the road," Kuester said. "We got some outstanding performances defensively, especially from Joe Dooley."

The senior guard hounded Yale's Pete White into a three-for-18 field goal effort.