George Marshall, facing a size disadvantage at virtually every position, scored 10 points in a 60-second span and stopped John Marshall's highly regarded running game in a 10-0 victory yesterday over the Richmond school in a Virginia AAA Division 5 state semifinal game at George Marshall.

The Statesmen (12-1) play Courtland (12-1) for the Division 5 state title Saturday at a site to be determined.

Robert Grande kicked a 22-yard field goal and tailback Chris Suggs ran for a 22-yard touchdown midway in the second period for the game's only points.

Marshall's defense did the rest. Robbie Felts, Bill Swarm and Richard Kinsman (two interceptions) held the Justices' offensive front line (which averaged 235 pounds) and refused to allow 317-pound Larry Johnson and 260-pound Dennis Parker to open holes for running backs Randolph Kendall and Bobby Phillips (43 yards on 25 carries).

"We wanted to contain them on the sweeps and stop the screen passes," said defensive end Bill Swarm. "{Linebacker} Chris Marks called a great game, he had us in the right places all the time. I think when they couldn't move us, they lost something. They got a little frustrated."

With virtually no running game, the Justices (11-1) had to resort to passing. Quarterback Kenneth Lee completed four of 11 for 74 yards, but injured his hand near the end of the first half and had to be relieved by Craig Williams, who completed 12 of 17 for 147 yards.

On both occasions when the visitors moved deep into Marshall territory, Kinsman came up with interceptions. Phillips also fumbled at the Statesmen 8 late in the third quarter.

"This was the worst game we've played this year, we just didn't do anything right," said Justices Coach Louis Anderson. "When we had our chances, we didn't make the plays. We lost our quarterback and that hurt us a lot."

George Marshall got an outstanding effort from Joe Swarm, who had 136 yards on 26 carries and Suggs (49 yards on five carries).

"I think our wing-T offense gave them trouble," said George Marshall Coach Neil Callahan. "They are a big, aggressive team and we were able to run our traps and counter plays."

George Marshall put together its best drive of the cold, windy day, going from its own 24 to the John Marshall 4. Swarm had 17- and 19-yard runs to keep the drive alive but the Justices held and Grande kicked a 22-yard field goal with 8:35 to play in the second quarter.

But on the kickoff, no one covered Pat Shea's short kick and George Marshall's Ron Kramer fell on the loose ball at the Justices 35.

John Robb went 13 yards on a trap play to the 22. Lonnie Goldberg threw an incompletion before Suggs got a nice block, cut back in the middle of the field and raced 22 yards to the end zone.

Grande's conversion kick was perfect and the Statesmen led, 10-0.

George Marshall had two other scoring chances, but Goldberg was intercepted both times.

The Justices threatened to score as Williams completed four passes to get his team to the host's 21. But Kinsman picked off a wobbly pass with four seconds left in the half.

Late in the third period, John Marshall took possession at the host's 24 following a wind-blown punt. But on a second-and-six play from the 8, Phillips fumbled and Felts recovered.

John Marshall's last threat came late in the game as it moved from its 1 to the Statesmen 10. But a Kinsman interception at the 1 with three minutes left ended the threat. John Marshall (11-1) 0 0 0 0 0 George Marshall (12-1) 0 10 0 0 10

GM -- FG Grande 22

GM -- Suggs 22 run (Grande kick)