EMMITSBURG, MD., DEC. 8 -- The new place was packed. People were in the aisles. The governor made the trip for the dedication. For Mount St. Mary's, a victory would have been nothing short of wonderful.

One problem: Maryland was in no mood to play the straight man for Mountaineers merriment. The Terrapins had their own fun in Knott Arena as they played solid defense and, led by Rudy Archer, hit their outside shots to come away with an 82-54 victory in front of 3,700 fans who cheered all night, even when the score got lopsided.

"We ran into what I was afraid of," said Mount St. Mary's Coach Jim Phelan. "They were ready to play possibly more than anytime this year because of the disaster on Saturday."

That "disaster" was a 75-49 loss at West Virginia. Those Mountaineers played well, but the Terrapins (4-1) didn't shoot, rebound or handle the press effectively. These Mountaineers are smaller and not as talented, and Maryland crashed the boards and made the shots.

"Tonight was the first time we've had fun playing the game of basketball," said Archer, who had 21 points, including five three-point shots, in the first half. "We played really well in all areas."

After Archer's 32 points (he also had eight assists), Brian Williams scored 18, Derrick Lewis had 12 and substitute Steve Hood had 11. Mike Tate led the Mountaineers with 15 points.

Maryland Coach Bob Wade started Archer, Williams and Derrick Lewis as he had in the first four games. But tonight he started Teyon McCoy in place of Hood and Cedric Lewis for Dave Dickerson.

"I did not start Steve because I wanted him to just relax. He was pressing," Wade said. "We had done a poor job of rebounding and I started Cedric to help pound the boards. Dave Dickerson {who played only the last 1:28} is doing a commendable job. We can change week to week depending on the opposition."

Before the start of the game, Henry Knott, who donated $5 million of the $10.5 million needed to build this facility, lofted a ceremonial jump ball. The practice might need some work before it becomes standard fare like a ceremonial first pitch, but the crowd appreciated Knott's generosity and the presence of Maryland Gov. William Donald Schaefer.

Archer's third three-point shot of the first half gave Maryland a 23-16 lead with 10:09 left. But the Mount's John Moore responded in kind -- twice. Then freshman Alex Watson slithered through two Terrapins to give Mount St. Mary's a 24-23 lead with 8:22 left.

With 7:50 left, Wade called time out. "We told our people to jump to the ball," said Wade, who switched from a zone to a man-to-man.

The Terrapins outscored Mount St. Mary's 14-3 to take a 37-26 halftime lead. Archer started the run with two more three-pointers.

"Tonight the ball was in love with Rudy," said Williams.

"Tonight I felt like I had the rhythm," Archer said.

The Terrapins put the game out of reach with an 18-4 run at the start of the second half, which gave them a 55-30 lead with 13:29 left.

"We needed that run," Wade said. "We've been searching for something like that for some time. It took a lot for these kids to come out like they did tonight. We got our butts ripped in West Virginia."

Wade had changed up the lineup since then and put his team through rigorous workouts.

"We had some very hard practices," said Wade with a smile.

Standing next to him was Williams, who smiled, shook his head in the affirmitive and said, "Pride, pride."

Indiana 63, Vanderbilt 61:

Keith Smart, removed from the starting lineup and relegated to the bench most of the night, scored two key baskets in the final minutes to lift the No. 6 Hoosiers at home.

Smart, benched by Coach Bob Knight for his performance in Saturday's overtime loss to then-No. 2 Kentucky, made a 10-foot jumper to put the Hoosiers (3-1) ahead by 60-59 with 2:57 to play.

Vanderbilt (3-1), which upset then-top ranked North Carolina on Saturday, had fought back from a 16-point first-half deficit to take its only lead of the game at 59-58 on two free throws by Barry Goheen with 4:48 left. Center Will Perdue sparked the comeback, scoring 15 of his 27 points in the second half.

Arizona 77, N. Arizona 59:

Sean Elliott led a balanced offense with 14 points, including two three-point plays in the final eight minutes, as the No. 4 Wildcats won in Tucson.

Arizona (6-0) led by 15 points early in the second half before Northern Arizona closed to 47-39 on Mark Anderson's fourth three-pointer of the half and sixth of the game with 13:02 left.

Anderson led Northern Arizona (0-5) with 20 points.

Missouri 76, Drake 74:

Derrick Chievous scored 24 points, including a spinning jump shot with 1:05 to play, as the No. 9 Tigers rallied to win in Des Moines, Iowa.

Missouri (3-0) overcame a five-point deficit in the final 9 1/2 minutes to score its second straight two-point victory.

Nathan Buntin and Byron Irvin each added 11 points and Greg Church 10 for the Tigers, who outrebounded the Bulldogs, 42-26.

Walter James led Drake (1-3) with 18 points.

Notre Dame 74, Boston U. 49:

David Rivers scored 19 points as a sluggish offense by the No. 19 Fighting Irish came alive in the second half to win in South Bend, Ind.

Notre Dame (2-1) led by 33-24 at halftime, then outscored the Terriers, 27-6, including eight points from Rivers, in the opening 9:30 to take command of the game.

Boston's leading scorer, Drederick Irving, entered the game with a 22.5-point average and finished with just 10. Larry Jones led the Terriers (3-2) with 14 points.