It's been a tough week for St. Leo College Coach Gary Richert. Monday, his Division II Monarchs lost to Birmingham Southern by 30 points. In that game, he lost his top healthy rebounder and his leading assist man -- who happens to be his son -- within a minute with injuries.

Yesterday, his team had to face Georgetown with a front court that stood 6 feet 4, 6-4 and 6-2, and the result was predictable. The Monarchs' lack of height just made an already lopsided matchup worse as Georgetown beat St. Leo, 78-40, before 4,789 at Capital Centre.

Jaren Jackson led the Hoyas (4-1) with 16 points, all in the first half. Freshman Anthony Tucker scored 13, all in the second half, as the Hoyas' presses wilted the already depleted Monarchs.

Mark Van Gerpen led St. Leo (3-3) with 10.

"I'm thankful that Coach {John} Thompson, who's a class gentleman . . . didn't do anything to belittle us or make us look like little kids," Richert said. "He called off the dogs, kept rotating people, gave us a chance to work against their press."

"I don't know that there's a conscious decision {to lay off}," Thompson said. "We need to work on some things, also. It gave me an opportunity to work on some half-court defenses and half-court offenses. We don't try to play less."

The Hoyas had not lost to the Monarchs in the previous eight games of the series, either, with an average victory margin of almost 36 points.

They took charge early.

From a 5-4 lead, Georgetown scored 15 straight points. Though St. Leo had early success breaking Georgetown's press, it didn't last.

"We were beaten, but I think the guys made a good run at them," said St. Leo guard Tyburn DeBellotte, whose brother Lyndon plays for the University of the District of Columbia. "Last year, we got beat by 75 {126-51}, so we made a respectable showing today."

Ronnie Highsmith started the run with a slam from Anthony Allen. Highsmith scored again underneath, then Charles Smith (11 points) went down the lane for a layup. Jackson hit a three-pointer, Smith made two free throws and Jackson scored on a bank shot.

When Smith hit two more free throws, it was 20-4 with 12 minutes left in the half. With the game no longer in doubt, both teams got their chance to work on each other's traps and half-court defenses.

"I have to work on my defensive game," Jackson said. "We came off a {losing} game against Virginia {Tech} in which we didn't play that well on defense."

The Hoyas stretched out their 39-20 halftime lead with a second 39-20 half, with Mark Tillmon (10 points) and Tucker filling the lanes for numerous transition baskets and scores off steals.

And with Georgetown guard Bobby Winston out for his second game with a sprained left wrist and index finger, Smith got a lot of work at point guard.

"Today was a good time to use Charles Smith a lot {as a point guard}," Thompson said. "Bobby being hurt has a big significance on this team. I've always said that Bobby Winston was a great settling force. He's a 6-foot-5 point guard."

Having a 6-5 point guard is something Richert wouldn't know about. But he said there was something positive from the experience.

"It was a good game for us, too," Richert said. "Even without our starters it gave us a opportunity to run some kids and get ready for our Sunshine State Conference. I knew that they wouldn't quit. It was just a matter of having enough bodies to keep playing." ST. LEO Min FG FT R A PF T Willhite 29 0-3 2-2 4 3 2 2 Van Gerpen 35 3-8 3-5 5 2 3 10 Fort 33 1-8 3-5 6 0 2 5 DeBellotte 38 3-5 0-0 2 0 2 9 Thorpe 15 0-2 2-2 1 0 0 2

Halftime: Georgetown, 39-20.

Three point goals: St. Leo 5-21 (Van Gerpen 1-2, DeBellotte 3-5, Madzinski 1-5, Willhite 0-3, Fort 0-1, Tho

A: 4,789.