In a high school indoor track season during which no individual has yet to become a bona fide star, it seemed fitting a little-known jumper surpassed her previous best by four inches in the high jump and a sprinter forging his identity set the only meet records of the Physicians Care/George Mason High School track meet at George Mason University yesterday.

Rhonda Boarman of Glen Burnie, Md., was the only contestant left in the girls high jump when Lake Braddock's Stephanie Frankiewicz went out at 5 feet 4 inches. Boarman cleared 5-6 and the meet record 5-7 each on her second attempt. Then she cleared 5-8 on her first before missing all three attempts at 5-9.

"I always jump better in competition," said the senior. "I don't think I've even cleared 5-3 in practice. I didn't know the record was 5-7; if I'd known, I would've practiced a lot harder."

Last year, H.D. Woodson's James Worthen was the fastest qualifier in the 300 meters at 35.7 seconds. This year, he was seeded third at 35.8, but was the only real sprinter in a strong field, three of whom went one-two-three in the 500. In the outside lane, Worthen let his speed make the difference from the outset and took a 10-yard lead through the first lap that he never relinquished. He won easily in a meet-record 34.56. The old mark was 34.91, set by Thomas Hairston of T.C. Williams in 1984.

Earlier, the boys 500 was the first race between closely seeded runners: Suitland's Thomas Bowman, who took the lead at the first turn, Tony Vinson of Denbigh (Newport News, Va.) and Shawn Vass of Huguenot (Richmond). Bowman still led at the gun lap, but Vass, who had trailed by 20 yards, was closing quickly. Vass was on Bowman's heels rounding the final turn, going around him as the two entered the straightaway. But Bowman hung on, and both runners were timed in 1:04.3. After considerable study of the finish photo, Vass was given the nod.

Forestville's Maurice Small, also a contender in the 300, finished third in 1:06.3. Bowman also took second in the 300, in 35.07.

In the boys mile, Eleanor Roosevelt's Greg Early took the lead from Chris Owens of Ed Waters (Baltimore) on the third lap of the eight-lap event, splitting 2:09 at the half. At 1,200 meters, Whitman's Tom Eagleson began closing, but, with a lap to go, Eagleson could not dent Early's 50-yard lead. Early won easily in 4:16.81, more than three seconds ahead of Eagleson (4:19.73), who later won the 3,200 meters with a come-from-behind victory in 9:31.11.

Early's time qualifies him for consideration for entry into the high school boys Milrose Mile in the Milrose Games at Madison Square Garden Feb. 7. The cutoff is 4:18.

In the girls 500, Ballou's Tasha Whitted took the lead after 100 yards. She alternately fended off charges, first from Central's Indira Hamilton and next from Karren Pittman of Henrico (Richmond) at the end, winning in 1:17.6.

Whitted later false-started out of the 55, which was won by Oxon Hill's Melanie Blackless in 7.24.

Donning tiger-stripped tights for the finals of the girls 55 hurdles, Manor's Lisa Wells outleaned teammate Lisa Harding for the victory, 8.14 to 8.3, after nearly falling at the finish. It probably cost her about two-tenths of a second, which would have given her the meet record of 8.02 set by Lynda Tolbert of Ballou three years ago.

Bayside's Lewis Turner, the second-fastest qualifier in the semifinals, came on quickly in the outside lane to seemingly edge Robinson's Terell McIlwain for the victory in the boys hurdle race. But the photo showed McIlwain, who finished in 7.54, won by .02.

H.D. Woodson's Martin Walker won the 55-meter dash in 6.52. He also took first in the long jump, clearing 22-9.

Karmen Roberts looked a lot like her sister, former Central star Kellie Roberts, sprinting off to a commanding lead in the first lap of the 1,000 meters, going through the quarter in 1:07. Roberts passed the half-mile mark in 2:26, and won in 3:02.3. Runner-up Kiran Beyer of Langley clocked 3:06.3.

Einstein's Terrance Taylor won the boys 1,000 in 2:35.60.