All season American University has been hurt by poor foul shooting. On the other hand, George Mason has been consistent from the stripe.

So with the game on the line, Amp Davis sank a pair of free throws with seven seconds to play in overtime to lift George Mason over American, 86-85, in a Colonial Athletic Association game last night at Patriot Center.

American Coach Ed Tapscott said his team certainly had its chances. "On that call, I only have one eye {he wore a patch because of a scratched cornea} so I couldn't see it. From what they tell me . . . but officials don't win or lose games for you."

After Davis' free throws, the Eagles (7-10, 3-3 in the CAA) got a good shot but Dale Spears (16 points) missed a three-point attempt at the buzzer.

In celebrating their fourth straight victory and 10th win over the Eagles in 10 games, the Patriots (11-6, 4-2) awoke just in time. Ken Sanders scored 18 of his 21 points in the second half. Brian Miller finished with 18 points and Davis 14, five coming in the extra session.

Despite 28 turnovers and some sparkling play by Eagle guards Mike Sampson (career-high 27 points), Spears and Brock Wortman (10), the Patriots' offense got untracked and wiped out a 10-point second half Eagles lead and had a chance to win the game in regulation.

Miller's jumper from 17 feet was off and American's Tom Scherer grabbed the rebound. There was an anxious moment on the American bench when Scherer flipped the ball outside right back to a surprised Miller, but the buzzer sounded and the game went into overtime.

Spears scored five points, one basket coming after a slick steal and driving layup, to give the visitors an 84-80 lead with 2:47 to play. Sanders cut the deficit to two with a bank shot at 2:08.

American committed a turnover and the Patriots pulled even on a tip-in by Danny Deane.

With 49 seconds left, Mike Sumner (14) made one of two free throws to give American an 85-84 lead. Following a timeout, George Mason's Earl Moore (nine points) missed a tough short baseline jumper and American 's Daryl Holmes grabbed the rebound with 16 seconds left. He was quickly fouled but missed the front end of the key one-and-one situation. Holmes earlier missed a one-and-one with 1:31 left in regulation.