It looked like the days of yesteryear last night at the Captial Centre. Georgetown clamped down on Boston College, taking star guard Dana Barros completely out of the offense, and the 15th-ranked Hoyas breezed to a 58-36 win before 9,373.

Georgetown uses a variety of gimmick defenses -- a box-and-one here, a triangle-and-two there -- as Barros, who leads the Big East in scoring with a 22.2 points-a-game average and had 30 points in the teams' last meeting, finished with only eight points on two of 11 shooting from the floor.

Tyrone Scott had seven points for the Eagles, who were held to an all-time Big East low in points scored. It was the lowest Boston College point total since a 45-34 loss to Holy Cross in 1948.

Guard Jamie Benton, who had 17 points in the 68-66 win over Georgetown Jan. 16, had just six last night, taking just four shots from the floor. He and Barros were never able to get the ball where they wanted against Georgetown's boxes and triangles.

"We gimmicked up a little bit," Georgetown Coach John Thompson said, "and matched up in their mind. But we can play good defense, we have to play good defense, because of our offense . . . if we don't play real good defense, we're not going to be a good team. We might as well pack it in and go."

Bobby Winston and Charles Smith each scored 12 points for Georgetown, which won its second straight Big East game and moved into the middle of the Big East pack at 3-3.

Georgetown only shot 44 percent from the field, 34.6 percent in the second half (nine of 26), but the Eagles did far worse, making only four of 22 (18 percent) in the second half, 29.7 percent for the game. Boston College made four field goals the final 28:49 of the game.

The Hoyas (13-4) put on an 11-0 run over the last 5:08 of the first half to take a 34-20 halftime lead. The closest the Eagles got in the second half was 36-26. From there, Georgetown outscored the Eagles, 32-10.

Barros was zero for eight in the second half. When the game was still reasonably close, it was Dwayne Bryant who chased him all over the court in the box-and-one.

Later, Barros, a junior guard, was double-teamed. He missed jumpers off screens, layins and everything else.

"The last game," Smith said, "{Barros and Benton} had like 40 some points between them. So we knew that was their offense, basically. We had to stop them."

Said Bryant: "After losing to them like that, it feels good to come back and beat them by as many points as we did."

Bryant was all over the court, even diving into the media row to force a first-half turnover.

"This game, we were pumped," Bryant said. "We knew we had to do the job, and the job was done."

Just like that.

"I had a lot of layups that I missed," Barros said. "I think in the first half {the gimmick defenses} shocked us, and we really weren't prepared for it.

"I think the two guys did a good job. The second half, I had shots. I just couldn't make them. Maybe they disrupted me by keeping the ball away from me so long. I really didn't have the feel for the ball, I wasn't really into the game."

The game was still close in the first half, after Barros made a three-pointer from well in front of the key to give the Eagles a 15-14 lead. It marked the 26th straight game in which Barros made a three-pointer.

Winston scored on a layin for Georgetown, and Steve Benton (no relation to Jamie) scored on a layin and was fouled by Ronnie Highsmith. He missed the free throw, but the Eagles probably didn't think it would be the last field goal they made in the half. It was.

Mark Tillmon (nine points) hit a three-pointer to give the Hoyas the lead back. Winston scored on a tipin, and Tillmon scored after stealing the ball from Doug Able for a 23-18 Georgetown lead.

Scott then hit two free throws to cut the lead to 23-20.

That was it for Boston College in the half. Smith scored on a hanging shot, McDonald made one of two from the line (the Hoyas hit on just seven of 17 overall) and followed Smith's miss for an eight-point lead at the 2:08 mark.

Scott traveled, Bryant scored. Anthony Allen blocked a Corey Beasley shot, and Bryant hit Tillmon with a behind-the-back pass that resulted in a Tillmon 17-footer. Bryant ended the half with a pullup jumper.

Boston College Coach Jim O'Brien yelled at his team often, but said he did it more after the first half, when he thought his team wasn't playing as hard as the Hoyas.

"I think we made a lot of mistakes," O'Brien said, "but I don't really think we matched their intensity. And that's the thing I told them I was most disappointed in. We matched their intensity in Boston . . . I don't think it was there tonight."

In the second half, Georgetown pulled away from the brief Eagles surge. McDonald scored on a three-point play to begin a 12-4 run, which ended with Anthony Tucker's driving basket that made the score 48-30 at the 8:14 mark.