Georgetown struggled with its field goal shooting throughout the game, but Anthony Allen's two free throws with 12 seconds left gave the Hoyas just enough points to hold off Connecticut, 60-59, before 10,204 at Capital Centre yesterday afternoon.

Allen's free throws ended a wild sequence in which the 15th-ranked Hoyas (14-4, 4-3 in the Big East) got every out-of-bounds call and grabbed three offensive rebounds. The Huskies (9-7, 2-6) thought a couple of their players were pushed out when they tried for the defensive rebounds.

Hoyas Coach John Thompson got on his team in practice this week about missing free throws so often, so yesterday the Hoyas responded by making 21 of 29 (72 percent).

Still, Connecticut led by one point when Georgetown inbounded with 14 seconds to play. Allen got open underneath, and was hit by Willie McCloud just as he shot. Allen, who had made nine of 13 free throws this season, swished both attempts.

"You're just keeping your concentration on the basket," Allen said, "and when you've got it, let it go. If I'm on the foul line, I don't mind taking the last shot."

After Allen's free throws, Connecticut's Tate George came downcourt in a move very similar to the one Georgetown's Charles Smith used to beat Syracuse last Sunday. George faked Smith, and had a foul line jumper. But the ball hit the front rim, and Allen pulled down the rebound as time expired.

Connecticut forward Cliff Robinson gave Georgetown fits all day, scoring a game-high 19 points; guard Phil Gamble had 16. The Hoyas went to a triangle-and-two defense for the second straight game.

Smith led Georgetown with 18 points, but made only six of 17 shots from the floor.

Georgetown would not have had a chance to win if it were not for the play of junior guard Bobby Winston. On a day when the Hoyas shot poorly from the field (17 of 56, 30 percent), Winston got 10 rebounds (six offensive) and scored 13 points.

The Hoyas noticed, giving Winston a standing ovation in the locker room after the game.

"I felt," Thompson said, "and the kids felt also, that if it had not been for Bobby Winston, we probably would not have won . . . He got in there and really started to rebound. They were hurting us over the top."

"When I was at the point," Winston said, "usually the point man goes back. But I always go to the boards, and Charles Smith always goes back. They didn't get me on the weak side. They boxed out everybody except me sometimes, and I just slid in."

Winston's basket off an offensive rebound, his second on the possession, gave Georgetown a 50-48 lead with 8:10 to play. The lead changed hands twice before Mark Tillmon made two free throws to give the Hoyas a 54-51 edge with 5:05 to play.

Robinson scored twice from the line, then Smith hit one of two to put Georgetown up by 55-53. Robinson was fouled again with 3:41 to play, and sank two more foul shots to tie the game again.

Gamble put in a Robinson miss to give the Huskies a 57-55 lead.

Georgetown came down court, and Tillmon missed a right base-line layin. Lyman DePriest grabbed the ball, but was called out of bounds.

"I think we played four straight possession calls," said Connecticut Coach Jim Calhoun, "and the {referee} keeps making that because he doesn't want to make the call. He doesn't want to hurt us, but he just doesn't want to make the call. So the easiest call is {Georgetown possession}."

Tillmon (two of 15 from the floor) missed again, from right of the foul line. But Winston slapped the ball away from Gamble, and it went out of bounds to the Hoyas again. Given a third chance, Smith hit a three-pointer from the top of the key to give Georgetown a 58-57 lead.

Gamble came right back with a running shot from the right of the lane to give Connecticut a 59-58 lead with 30 seconds to play. Tillmon tried a hook, and missed. McDonald grabbed the rebound, but Robinson blocked his shot. Robinson came down with the ball, and after contact with a couple of Georgetown players, he fell out of bounds. Georgetown was given possession again.

Allen's winning free throws came after the inbounds play.

The game was tight throughout the second half, with the largest lead being Georgetown's six-point edge with 17:42 to play. Connecticut finally tied the game at 43 on a three-pointer by Gamble with 11:10 to go. The Huskies took a three-point lead when Steve Pikiell hit a three-pointer with 9:02 to play.

But Winston then began to get inside the Huskies' 1-3-1 zone for rebounds, giving the Hoyas a chance to win the game at the end.