George Washington, hoping to gain momentum heading into the final month of the regular season, turned in perhaps its second worst performance of the season last night.

The Colonials scored only one field goal over a nine-minute span of the second half and St. Joseph's walked away with a 67-55 Atlantic 10 conference victory before 2,127 at the Smith Center.

George Washington (8-11, 2-8 in conference play) came close to playing as poorly as it did two weeks ago in an embarrassing 92-61 home loss to Rhode Island.

The game was sloppy throughout, but the Colonials broke away from a 27-27 halftime tie to lead, 34-31, following a three-point shot by Gerald Jackson (15 points) and a 12-foot jumper by Glenson Sitney with 17:43 to play.

From that point, however, St. Joseph's (10-10, 6-6) controlled the game, giving up only one field goal -- a jumper by Ellis McKennie (11 points) -- in the Colonials' next 17 possessions. The Colonials had problems against the Hawks' press and committed 10 turnovers in that span. They also missed four shots and had three others blocked.

"It's tough when you go more than eight minutes without a basket, score once and go another four minutes without scoring," said Colonials Coach John Kuester. "We didn't get anything out of our inside people and we weren't scoring from outside."

Kuester thought his team did a good job on St. Joseph's 6-foot-8 strong man, Rodney Blake, holding the senior to only eight field goal attempts. But Blake made seven of them and six of eight free throws to lead all scorers with 20 points. He also had 10 rebounds and four blocked shots.

St. Joseph's, probably still miffed over Saturday's 61-59 loss to Penn State at the Palestra, took advantage of George Washington's collapse, running off several mini-streaks to break open the game.

Henry Smith (nine points, 10 rebounds) had five points and Kevin Baggett and Ivan Brown each had a basket during a 9-0 run that turned a one-point deficit into a 44-36 lead with 12:48 left.

After McKennie's basket, James Owens (12 points) and Blake scored and the Hawks led, 48-38, with less than 10 minutes to play.

"I don't know if it was our defense that turned things around or because we just scored more," Blake said. "Coach {Jim Boyle} got on us a little bit about our {lack of} hustle. We were able to get our offense going in the second half."