Last week, for the first time in his life, Washington Wave goalkeeper Jim Beardmore was booed off the field for his poor play.

Yesterday at Capital Centre, however, he made four nice saves near game's end as the Wave defeated the Baltimore Thunder, 15-12, in a Major Indoor Lacrosse League game before 6,720.

"Jimmy felt really bad about last week," Wave Coach Glenn Little said. "But I don't think he's going to hear any more boos after today."

Beardmore stopped nine of 11 shots in the last period, and the Wave (4-2) outscored Baltimore, 5-1, in the last 11:27 to stay half a game behind the first-place New Jersey Saints.

In Philadelphia yesterday, the Saints (4-1) beat the Wings, 10-7, in front of 9,208 at the Spectrum.

The Wave's Joe Gold's three goals and two assists increased his league-leading totals to 17 and 11. Teammate John Lamon had two goals and three assists. Frank Kelly scored three times for the defending champion Thunder (1-4).

With the game tied at 10 after three quarters, Beardmore got caught way out of position and the Thunder's Mark Hahn scored on a breakaway. However, Kirk Thurston (two goals) and Pat O'Conner (two goals) scored 11 seconds apart to give the Wave a 12-11 lead with 11:16 left.

Beardmore, an all-America at the University of Maryland last year, protected the lead with four splendid stops in the next five minutes. He allowed only one goal in the last 12 minutes. Joe Gold, Scott Evander and Mark Gold scored in the last 2:31 to seal it for the Wave.

Washington, which twice blew six-goal leads before winning in overtime earlier this season, played well together in the second half, something it didn't do in the first period, going more than 14 minutes without a goal.

"We started to play selfish and we couldn't score," Lamon said. "There were too many one-on-ones and we weren't playing together. But in the second half, we were very unselfish. That was the difference."

The Wave had a 5-2 lead in the first quarter as Thurston, Rick Sowell, and O'Conner scored consecutive goals to break a 2-all tie. But the Thunder scored five of the next six goals, including two by Kelly, to take a 7-6 lead.

Joe Gold broke the Wave's scoring drought with 3:42 left in the half, tying it at 7. Both teams scored three times in the third quarter. Trailing, 10-9, the Thunder tied it on Steve Shaw's power-play goal with 10 seconds left in the period.

After that, the Wave put its offense together and Beardmore (18 saves overall) made the key saves. "Jimmy knew he had to play well today and he did," Little said.

The Wave outshot Baltimore, 52-51. Washington's Tim Hastings made 21 saves in the first half.