ST. LOUIS, FEB. 9 -- Scotty Bowman, whose name has been raised in connection with every struggling franchise, including Washington, says he is content with his job as a color commentator for Hockey Night in Canada.

"I miss the games, but not the rest of it, definitely not the practices," Bowman said. "And as far as becoming a GM again, it's awfully tough to build up a team these days. When you're down, it's a long way up. I have the perfect job now. I've already qualified for the playoffs."

All-Star games, which bring together club officials, oldtimers and hordes of media, tend to nurture some wild rumors. Among those circulating here was the possibility that Craig Patrick, former Rangers general manager and now the athletic director at the University of Denver, would join cousin Dick, the Capitals' president, in Washington as a replacement for David Poile.

"Why would they want me, when they've got David?" Craig Patrick asked. "That's the first I've heard of that one -- and I've heard a lot of rumors this year."

The 1990 NHL All-Star Game will be played in Pittsburgh, where the Civic Arena is scheduled for a $12 million renovation. The 1989 game previously was awarded to Edmonton . . . NHL President John Ziegler said three NHL teams had been fined substantial, but undisclosed, amounts because their personnel violated directives forbidding public criticism of officials. He declined to name the teams . . . The NHL Board of Governors today completed the transfer of Jerry Buss' 51 percent interest in the Los Angeles Kings to Bruce McNall, who already owned the other 49 percent . . . On the subject of possible NHL expansion, Ziegler said, "The board's position is that we are not presently considering expansion" . . . The proposal that each NHL team play a Soviet club next season, with the games to count in the standings, met with strong opposition. Instead, Ziegler says it appears that Soviet teams will play a series of 10 to 12 exhibitions in North America . . . With Larry Pleau moving to Hartford, Doug Jarvis has been named coach of the Binghamton Whalers of the American League.