Senior guard George Hamilton scored a career-high 29 points to lead Howard past Delaware State, 69-59, in an MEAC game last night at Burr Gymnasium.

The Bison (14-8, 8-3 in the league) committed four turnovers in the first half and trailed early, 6-0. The Bison didn't score their first points until the 14:48 mark when Hamilton made a 16-foot jumper to close Howard's deficit to 6-2.

"We had to adjust to playing without a couple of our regular starters," said Hamilton. "These young guys have to learn to play a faster game because we're not a half-court offense. We're better when we run."

The Bison began to click late in the first half. Hamilton scored on four straight possessions to give Howard a 28-17 lead with 3:12 remaining in the half. The Bison entered halftime on top, 33-23.

"We weren't playing the way we should because of those changes in our lineup, but we still have to play our style of game," said Coach A.B. Williamson.

Williamson was forced to play without injured swingman Rocky Gholson. Williamson also decided not to play forward John Spencer because of a "family matter within the team." Spencer was Howard's leading rebounder with a 10.7 rebound per game average.

The Bison played well in the early stages of the second half. Forward Guy Owen's jumper from the lane gave Howard its biggest lead of the game at the 8:47 mark of the second half.

Guard Skip Bynum scored 13 points for Howard. Delaware State (2-21, 1-12) was led by Tracey Wilson's 13 points. Paul Newman scored 12 and James Clarke added 10.

For the game, the Bison outrebounded Delaware State, 46-33. Delaware State shot only 39 percent from the floor.

UDC 85, Central State 73:

UDC shot 79 percent from the foul line and defeated host Central State before 2,300 at Beacom Field House.

The Firebirds (20-4) led, 43-31, at halftime and never trailed thereafter. They were led by 6-3 guard Antonio Harris, who finished with 19 points. Harris converted eight of eight from the free throw line as the team converted 27 of 34 of its free throws.

Forward Richard McLean scored 13 points and led the Firebirds with 11 rebounds. Guard Lyndon DeBellotte scored 16 points; forward Vincent Copeland added 12 points.

The Marauders fell to 9-17.

Catholic 113, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy 89:

Kenny Wills had 26 points and 10 rebounds to lift the Cardinals (14-6) to a home victory. Catholic has won nine out its last 11 games.

Leading, 29-28, with six minutes to play before intermission, Catholic began to take control of the game, rolling to a 25-10 spurt to open a 16-point halftime advantage, 54-38.

In the second half, the lead rose as high as 29 points at 100-71 with 5:12 remaining.

Kevin Boddie added 16 points and six rebounds and Kevin Morrison had 12 points and 11 rebounds for Catholic.

John Doherty led the Mariners (8-13) with 20 points. The Mariners had to finish the last 30 seconds with only four players because of an ejection of one of its players.