WINNIPEG, MANITOBA, FEB. 19 -- Clint Malarchuk stopped 29 shots for his second shutout of the season tonight and the Washington Capitals boosted their winning streak to five games with a 6-0 rout of the Winnipeg Jets.

Mike Gartner scored twice, giving him six in four games and a season total of 38. The other goals were produced by Bob Gould, Grant Ledyard, Scott Stevens and Yvon Corriveau.

The Capitals, who will play at Minnesota Saturday, remained three points behind first-place Philadelphia in the Patrick Division.

"We can't worry about the other teams, although we certainly check their scores," Gartner said. "We just have to worry about our games the rest of the way."

There was little to worry about tonight, after Corriveau made a fine play to set up Gould halfway through the first period.

Malarchuk made some big stops, getting his right pad out to foil Thomas Steen's breakaway, before Gartner blasted one between the pads of goalie Pokey Reddick early in the second period for a 2-0 lead and some breathing space.

"It was good to see Clint in such control," said Coach Bryan Murray. "In the first period, when it was 1-0, they had some chances to get back into it, but he didn't give them a thing."

Reddick yielded Ledyard's power-play drive from far out, then departed after two periods to boos from the 13,500 fans. Daniel Berthiaume gave up three more in the final 20 minutes, Gartner and Stevens connecting while Paul MacLean served a major penalty for high-sticking Ledyard. The Capitals wound up three for five on the power play.

Malarchuk learned this morning that he would be making his second start in 24 days. Murray's decision was made easy by the fact that Pete Peeters felt too sick to play, although Peeters did serve as Malarchuk's backup.

"The first period they came pretty good, but our guys played well," said Malarchuk, who earned his seventh career shutout. "We're playing well every night and we're scoring a lot, which gives me a nicer feeling. There's not so much pressure on the goalie when the team is scoring like this."

This was the third time in the five-game streak that Washington chased the opposing goalie. Reddick, making only his second start since being called up from Moncton of the American League Jan. 16, stopped nine of 12 shots.

"There were three pretty soft goals early in the game," said Winnipeg Coach Dan Maloney. "Pokey wasn't sharp, obviously. We've hit a lot of low spots this year, but this has to be the lowest of them all."

It was a frustrating night for Maloney right from the opening goal, which the Jets disputed in vain because of a hand pass that went unnoticed by the officials.

Dale Hunter, lying on the ice behind the Washington net, shoved the puck into the corner at his left with his glove. Stevens rushed over to grab the puck and fired a headman pass to Corriveau, whose one-hand pass left Gould open in front to whack a shot off Reddick's pads.

"They usually blow the whistle on that, but I was diving behind the net and I don't think the ref could see what I was doing," Hunter said. "We had a lot of bad breaks at the beginning of the year, but now we're starting to get a few. What goes around, comes around."

The Jets had taken both previous meetings and Washington had not won here in six tries since a 7-3 victory on Oct. 30, 1983.

Despite the Capitals' recent success, tonight's one-sided result was unexpected, because Winnipeg had been unbeaten in seven straight before dropping a one-goal decision in Hartford Wednesday.

"They played two excellent games against us earlier and to come in here and win this convincingly after they had a streak going is a real plus for us," Murray said. "This should be a confidence builder.

"We played very disciplined and our forechecking led to a lot of things. We made sure there were no freebies, particularly against the {Dale} Hawerchuk line. We covered them very well and our defense really stood up."

Hawerchuk's 12-game point streak ended and he managed only two shots on goal, the line (with Doug Smail and Andrew McBain) a total of four.

Kevin Hatcher was credited with three assists in a superb performance, but he was overshadowed once again by Stevens, who earned the No. 1 star for the third time in five games.

If any Washington player was frustrated after this one, it was Kelly Miller. Suffering from the flu much of this week, Miller skipped practice Thursday. Tonight, he was foiled by Reddick on a breakaway, saw Reddick stop a tough backhander from in close and then unloaded a drive that struck both post and crossbar before coming out.

"I couldn't believe that shot off the post," Miller said. "I'm just glad we didn't need it."

Flyers 5, Sabres 4:

Rick Tocchet scored two first-period goals to help Philadelphia overcome a 2-0 deficit and the Flyers went on to win in Buffalo.

Brian Propp, Mark Howe and Scott Mellanby were the other Flyers goal scorers, while Mike Foligno, John Tucker, Doug Smith and Phil Housley hit the net for the Sabres.



2 3

6 Winnipeg 0 0 0 0

FIRST PERIOD SCORING -- 1, Washington, Gould 8 (Corriveau, Stevens) 10:05. PENALTY -- Corriveau, Was (high-sticking), 19:10.

SECOND PERIOD SCORING -- 2, Washington, Gartner 37 (Hatcher), 1:24. 3, Washington, Ledyard 2 (Ridley, Hatcher), 16:25 (pp). PENALTY -- Taglianetti, Win (interference), 15:30.

THIRD PERIOD SCORING -- 4, Washington, Gartner 38 (Hatcher, Galley), 3:43 (pp). 5, Washington, Stevens 8 (Gustaffson), 5:03 (pp). 6, Washington, Corriveau 7 (Hunter, Gould), 16:56. PENALTIES -- MacLean, Win, major (high-sticking), 1:35; Hunter, Was (high-sticking), 5:03; Carlyle, Win (high-sticking), 5:03; Hamel, Win (delay of game), 7:04; Washington bench, served by Adams (too many men on ice), 8:37; Sundstrom, Was (holding), 15:27; Smail, Win (slashing), 15:27.

Shots on goal: Washington 6 6 15 27 Winnipeg 10 10 9 29

Power-play Opportunities -- Washington 3 of 4; Winnipeg 0 of 2.

Goalies -- Washington, Malarchuk (29 shots-29 saves). Winnipeg, Reddick (20-17), Berthiaume (0:00 third, 15-12).

A -- 13,500.

Referee -- Dan Marouelli. Linesmen -- Jim Christison, Mark Pare.