For one half yesterday, George Washington University did a nice job stopping St. Bonaventure's inside game of Rocky Llewellyn and Patrick Allen. The pair totaled only 12 points and the Colonials had an eight-point halftime lead.

However, in the final 20 minutes, Llewellyn scored 18 of his 22 points and Allen had 10 of his 16 as the Bonnies pulled away for a 77-67 victory over the Colonials in an Atlantic 10 game before 3,259 at Smith Center.

George Washington fell to 11-13, 5-10 in the conference. St. Bonaventure is 12-11, 6-8.

"The difference in the second half was that we executed," Bonnies Coach Ron DeCarli said.

"We came out and broke things down and played very well. We hit the boards and played solid defense. It was just a matter of executing."

The Colonials led by 38-30 at halftime, but St. Bonaventure outscored them, 47-29, in the second half. After shooting just 37 percent from the floor in the first half, the Bonnies made 18 of 30 shots (60 percent) and had a 22-11 rebounding advantage.

"We played an outstanding first half and then in the second half the first five minutes hurt us," Colonials Coach John Kuester said. "We had a nice, eight-point lead, and before you could blink an eye, it was gone."

Gerald Jackson led the Colonials with 22 points, 13 in the first half. Mike Jones added 11 points and five first-half blocked shots.

Trailing by 42-34 early in the second half, the Bonnies went on a 12-2 run to take a 46-44 lead with 12:12 left.

Llewellyn, a 6-foot-6 junior, had 10 points during the spurt, including a slam dunk off a fast break to give St. Bonaventure its first lead since 19-17.

The Colonials tied it twice, but Allen controlled the offensive boards and guard Richard McCormick (20 points, six assists) scored nine points in the final nine minutes to clinch it.

The Colonials got within 63-59 on two free throws by Jackson with 4:03 left, but St. Bonaventure scored the next seven points, four by Albert Middleton.

In the first half, the Colonials had a 31-30 lead, then scored the last seven points in exciting fashion. Jackson had a four-point play when he hit a three-pointer and was fouled with 1:58 left. GW's Ken Barer then made a three-pointer at the buzzer to make it 38-30.

"I think that helped us," DeCarli said. "I was like a Bengal tiger in the locker room and I think the kids knew they could play better."