No. 12 Gonzaga mounted a 27-11 third quarter and beat No. 11 McNamara, 83-64, in a Metro Conference basketball game last night at Gonzaga.

The Eagles (20-5, 5-2 in the Metro) led by only 40-36 at the half, but ran off the first nine points of the second half, five by forward Mike Sabol, who had 13 in all.

After Sabol, it was fellow forward David Credle's turn. The sophomore, who finished with 15, scored seven of Gonzaga's next nine points, and his follow of a missed shot with 3:03 left in the third quarter meant a 58-42 lead.

The Mustangs (21-5, 4-3) trailed, 62-47, before Gonzaga ran off the last five points of the quarter, three by guard Jacob Morton, who ended with a game-high 27 points. After Morton made two free throws with 2:04 left in the game to put the lead at 79-55, both coaches emptied their benches.

Gonzaga remains in a second-place Metro tie with St. John's and Carroll behind DeMatha, which clinched the league's second-half title last week. McNamara has already earned the right to meet the second-half runner-up in a playoff, thanks to its first-half runner-up finish.

Another reason the win was sweet was that earlier this season, Gonzaga lost to McNamara after leading by 15 points with six minutes left. The McNamara rally came after Morton fouled out.

"I didn't have to say much to them before {last night's} game," Gonzaga Coach Dick Myers said.

"We played them the same way as last time," Morton said. "But this time we played four quarters instead of three quarters and two minutes."

In the first quarter last night, Gonzaga came out on fire and opened an 11-2 lead that grew to 26-15 at the quarter.

McNamara rallied behind Quinn Harris (17 points) and Martin Somerville (13) to grab a 34-33 lead on Walt Webb's three-pointer, but a three-point play by George Leftwich and a driving layup by Derek Brown restored the lead for good, 38-34.

Bullis 63, St. Albans 59:

John Washington scored 10 of his 17 points in the fourth quarter as Bullis rallied for a 56-56 tie in regulation, won at the foul line in overtime and nailed down the Interstate Athletic Conference title. John Jackson led Bullis with 18 points. Larry Holmes had 20 for host St. Albans, including a three-point basket with :02 to play to force overtime.